What are the regulations or rules about the eyesight test for driving and is it different when you are diabetic?  I ask because I know that being diabetic, it can affect your eyesight and I wondered about any standards or anything that would be differently done with the eyesight test for driving license and diabetes?  I am ok now but in the future when my eyesight goes bad or gets worse, I want to know what to do. I want to be able to drive still if my eyes are not as they were. I would get corrective lenses if they help.

The DOT of the U.S. will use a Snellen chart to measure central visual acuity.  You will be tested for this when you renew.   For driving safety, the DOT wants the driver to be able to perceive relative distance of objects.  If the DOT has concerns about the driver's visual ability, they may have their own medical examiner check the driver's:  

Binocular acuity (needs to be at least 20/40)

Distant acuity (at least 20/40)

Horizontal field of vision (at least 70 degrees; each eye)

Distinguish the colors of red, amber, and green of the traffic lights

I believe you will be o.k. just so you take care of your diabetes and manage it without problem.

I am diabetic and I didn’t have any problem getting my license. I see my eye doctor regularly so I am up to date on what I am supposed to be doing as far as eye health goes. I have to take eye drops for glaucoma and I wear glasses but I pass the test at the driving license office every time I go which is every 4 years. As long as you can read the letters they ask you to read off, you are o.k.