It has been reported that eating fish at least once a week is good for the brain as it slows age-related mental decline. Omega-3 fatty acids contained in fish have been shown to boost brain functioning as well as cutting the risk of stroke, and eating fish regularly appears to protect the brain as people age.

The rate of mental decline was reduced by 10% to 13 % per year among persons who consumed one or more fish meals per week which is equivalent of being three to four years younger in age. Previous studies found that people who ate fish lowered their risk of Alzheimer's disease and stroke. Fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids also have been shown to prevent heart disease.

What increases the risk of mental decline is obesity, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol levels at midlife. Subjects who suffered from all three of the health problems at midlife multiplied their risk of developing dementia six times compared to people free of the risk factors.

However, FDA warns pregnant women, nursing mothers and children to avoid fish with high levels of mercury such as shark, swordfish, king mackerel or tilefish, as mercury can damage the growing brains of fetuses and children.

Yes, I've heard about that. I love eating fish, especially sushi! I hope raw fish has the same benefits.