I am 6 weeks pregnant and I heard that pregnant women shouldn¡¦t eat tuna!!! Is that true? I love tuna, so this is very hard for me to except ƒº Need more info on this!!! What is consequence if eating tuna while pregnant?

Hey,
Hey,
Very few women eat tuna in such amounts that could harm unborn baby. FDA recommends two six-ounce cans of tuna weekly, if tuna is the only fish they eat. Or one tuna can, if they eat some other fish that contains mercury. I hope this won¡¦t be a problem to cope with¡K
It is very healthy for pregnant women to eat fish, but then again not too much fish, especially those fish that contain high levels of mercury. Tuna is actually not in a risk group; FDA advised pregnant women and those who could become pregnant not to eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish (golden or white snapper). They didn¡¦t ¡§forbid¡¨ tuna¡K
Happy pregnancy!!!

Iam writing this on June 12 2006 and althought I dont know to much about eating tuna BUT I missed a tv show the other night but they said they now have found out that it is unsafe to eat tuna when pregnant. This is what I found.....

(WebMD) Recommendations published in the magazine Consumer Reports this week urge women to avoid eating any canned tuna while pregnant because of uncertainties about the risk of mercury contamination to developing fetuses.

The recommendations are stricter than the federal government's advice issued two years ago. Then, the FDA advised women and young children to limit — but not avoid — consumption of canned tuna because of contamination.

But the magazine's experts say women should avoid the popular item altogether because of FDA data showing that some canned tuna may have higher mercury levels than once thought.

"What we did is take a closer look at the data," says Urvashi Rangan, Ph.D., a toxicologist and a senior scientist at Consumer Reports.

besides fish with mercury (and obvisously tabacco and alcohol) are there any other foods that should be avoided during pregnancy?

:0( tuna is the only thing i have craved with this baby!

i ate nothing but tuna for two weeks straight before i knew i was pregnant, in fact that's part of what made me decide to have a pregnancy test because we had gotten to the point we had stopped trying.

happy surprise for us :0)

seriously though, tuna is the only craving i have had!

I'm 8 months pregnant && all I've craved this whole pregnancy is tuna -- that's how I knew I was pregnant in the first place. I wanted Tuna && grape juice. I love both, but not together. Anyways, my mother is in the medical field && she said that a little amount isn't harmful to the baby.

well i have hurd that i you
have tea and honey if u think you are pregnant it is bad for the cels inside of you is this true?[/list]

Another factor is the KIND of tuna you consume. Such as LIGHT verses ALBACORE tuna.
Some tea contains caffiene, and even natural caffeine should be limited while pregnant.
Honey is safe while pregnant due to the processing of food through your body, but you should avoid giving it to children under the age of 2 years.

Caffeine is not recommended while you're pregnant, and honey should never be given to children under the age of one year.

However if you are pregnant non-caffeinated tea with honey should be risk free. [You can greatly de-caffeinated regular tea by allowing to soak for 30 seconds - 1 minute in a cup of very hot water and then throwing that water out. Caffiene is the first thing that steeps out of the tea leaves]

Honey is a risk to very young digestive systems because they're not as acidic as the digestive systems of children or adults and can't destroy botulism spores which can occur in honey. A pregnant woman eating honey still has her digestive track intact and it will destroy the botulism spores when she eats it.

I think this generation has gone way overboard with the do's and dont's of pregnancy. I am 6 months pregnant and if I listened to everything everyone told me about what not to eat I would have starved to death by now. People have told me not to eat tuna, sushi, pasta, unpasteurized cheese, coffee + tea, among several others. Im sure people of Japan have been eating sushi while pregnant for centuries and it hasn't done anything to them. You cant believe everything you hear. Even if there is some medical reason Im sure its nothing new. People used to smoke and drink when they were pregnant and their babies have turned out perfectly healthy.

I am 5 months pregnant and have really bad headaches. Since I cant take more medicine than tynelol, my doctor told me to drink a cup of coffee in the morning and a dr pepper in the afternoon if still not gone. If I do both and take tynelol (which the doctor told me to take with the drinks) then the headaches go away. About the tuna thing I think if you moderate what you eat then you and your baby will be just fine. Just my 2 cents.

I wanted to reply to this woman's ignorant comment about babies being born healthy after drinking and smoking for the whole pregnancy. If you consider low birth weight, asthma, learning disabilities, ADD, future smokers and alcoholics healthy, then I guess your right!

i agree ive heard so many things about what not to eat!! drives me nuts!! my mom is the one who's said that u can't believe everything everyone says. she craved crab meat with my little sister i remember because she used to eat it all the time!

We have to remember that people have been having babies for very long time and we are not new to it. There is always new information coming out and some things will work for you and somethings won't. Do what you feel most comfortable doing. I limit my tea intake and stopped eating raw yolks (eggs lightly turned)...but other then that...I EAT AND LOVE IT! Not supposed to eat processed meat or unpasterized cheese, but what is better than a tim hortons breakfast sandwich and a greek salad? This is pregnancy #2 for me and i don't stop myself from eating what feels good. I just remember "All things in moderation!". Enjoy your cravings!

Thank you for some sanity! We should do the best we can, and not worry that we are deforming or crippling our unborn children in the meantime.