Since I eat at least 5 cans of tuna in a week am I at risk of getting sick from mercury poisoning?

is your temperature rising????

I was hoping that all of that mercury would make me faster. :shrug:

Just an FYI for anyone else that may be following this...

The FDA has set a safety margin of 1.0 PPM or Parts per Million for mercury to humans in a weeks time. The equates to 1 part mercury per 1 million parts of fish. In a can of tuna(albacore) all white there is .3 PPM of mercury and in a can of lite tuna (tongal, skipjack) there is .17 PPM of mercury. So to equate that for you in terms of consumption you could have 3-6oz cans of all white tuna(albacore) a week or 4-6oz cans of lite tuna(tongol, skipjack) a week, providing you have not consumed any other high level foods with mercury in the week. The suggested weekly limit is 26oz of canned tuna fish rated at .2PPM or less a week.

PH, wow I was not aware that there was that much Mercury in Tuna. I have been eating a lot more tuna lately. Thanks for the update!

there's an outbreak of listeria in my region (i guess) - the elderly, pregnant woman (includes the lovely and talented Mrs Prohemp) are encouraged to stay away from tuna fish (hot dogs, lunch meat and certain cheeses)

see below for more

it is amazing that pregnant women can eat anything
it is amazing how some foods affect the baby