I just read 2 articles about mercury in fish, and not to eat more than 1 can per week of tuna. They mentioned swordfish, tuna, a couple of others.

Have any of you heard this?

The FDA has set a safety margin of 1.0 PPM or Parts per Million for mercury to humans in a weeks time. The equates to 1 part mercury per 1 million parts of fish. In a can of tuna(albacore) all white there is .3 PPM of mercury and in a can of lite tuna (tongal, skipjack) there is .17 PPM of mercury. So to equate that for you in terms of consumption you could have 3-6oz cans of all white tuna(albacore) a week or 4-6oz cans of lite tuna(tongol, skipjack) a week, providing you have not consumed any other high level foods with mercury in the week. The suggested weekly limit is 26oz of canned tuna fish rated at .2PPM or less a week.
I eat 4 6 oz. cans of tuna a week and I've never noticed any problems. I know there are body builders out there that eat more than twice that much in a week and I've never heard of them report any problems either.

SO, Hmmmmm, if i keep eating tuna i'll be able to tell the temperature without a thermometer then? :shrug:

interesting concept

Tuna is a great source of protein. Cheap too!

I saw a story on this on the news last night, and as I understood it the 12oz. of tuna only per week was just the recommendation for pregnant women?

+ Canned tuna has much lower mercury levels than fresh tuna.

Thank you! That makes things much clearer. What a relief! I love tuna.

I heard on tv yesterday that the solid white canned has way more mercury then the chunk light.
Barb