I also crave Irish spring original scent Idk why I've been eating more than I wash with I get strong cravings....read it causes cancer so now I'M scared to indulge in anymore but I believe I can cut down but eating it is relieving.

I have been eating soap for over ten year. I love the smell, texture and taste of certain brands. When I come home from the grocery I cant wait to eat the extra edges of the inside of the letters. I experienced burning on my tongue or sometimes a pain in my throat but other than that I am fine. I have tried to stop but the taste is so, so great.

I have been doing it for about 4 yrs now...but I recently read that chromium is linked to cancer....I have been soap free for 2 weeks but now the pH in my tummy is screwed up and antacids aren't helping.

I am 28 years old and I have been eating bar soap since I was pregnant with my first child at 19. It first started off as smelling the soap, then licking the soap, now I actually eat the soap. I thought I was the only one going through this problem. I have tasted every soap out there from Yardley, Zest, Irish Spring, All Dial soaps, Dove, Lever, Ivory, Tone, the whole 9, but my favorite soap of all time is Coast. I crave coast all day. I try to leave the soap at home while I'm at work to prevent me from chewing on it all day. I like Coast when it is freshly new out the pack, I smell it and it makes my mouth water, I have a certain way of eating the soap by scraping my teeth against the bottom of it all the way to the top..then I chew on it. It relaxes me and calms me down. It takes me about a month to finish 1 whole bar of soap. A year ago I noticed how severe my soap addiction was when I made a "soap bowl" .. Shredding up coast, Irish spring original, , cranberry dial and dial for men (the blue one) which are my favorites into small pieces placing them into a glass bowl with suran wrap. I would keep it on the side of my bed and ate the pieces whenever I felt stressed and the flavors would just melt in my mouth. I have recently stopped and I have been soap free for about a month. I never had any side effects while eating soap not even an upset stomach but I noticed I would get reoccurring problems with BV. My doctor said the soap I was eating was effecting my pH balance. And since I quit I haven't had this problem since. I am very tempted to go back. I watch people on YouTube eat soap, and Google soap addiction and read other stories of this disorder. It makes my mouth water. Glad to know I am not alone.

I have the same issue! I love Irish Spring, Coast and Dial! All of the originals as well. I brush my teeth with them several times a day just so I can savor the taste and enjoy the smell!

It is good to know that there are people out there like me I thought I was the only person with this strange addiction. No one knows about this, and I wonder if something is wrong with me. I am not pregrant so that is not my reason. I love the way certain soaps smell. My favorites are Coast and Lifeguard. I do like Irish spring and Dial. I find myself buying soap by the boat loads so I don't run out. Although I don't eat them in chunks I do put use it like toothpaste and chew it off of my toothbrush, and I find myself brushing my teeth with the soap as well. I crave the soap so much that I have a bar in my purse along with a toothbrush so i can chew it, and I try and do this discreetly so no one notices....PLEASE HELP OR FIND AN ANSWER FOR ME!!!!

I thought I was the only one who brushes my teeth with soap as well. I love Coast and Lifeguard the most. I also just love chewing the soap off of my toothbrush as well, and they do smell so good....I am glad I am not alone.

Im 42 ive been eating soap for 22year ppl think im crazy but it tastes so goody mourh waters for it ...

I eat soap. I'm a 37 year old woman. like everybody else here, I started off just smelling soaps like dial/gold, irish spring and coast all original or hotel soaps. I started nibbling in my early 20's and then stopped and started again after getting pregnant again at age 29. Ivory was my choice. but I felt like I was going overboard so I stopped buying it but then i always would go back. one time my husband bought white dial on accident and I thought I was going to have a panic attack, but then tasted it and it was Yummy. I know weird right, but not to me. so then I got addicted to white dial. It was scorching my mouth because I would eat a piece and want more and then more and I couldn't stop eating it. one day I couldn't taste anything anymore. so I threw the rest of the soap away and started buying dove because I do not like the taste of dove. My husband was curious why I switched, I told him I just liked the smell of dove better. I went to Mexico on vacation and the hotel soap there was soo delicious. I feel funny saying that. but it was, it tasted like fruit or something, so before we left the hotel, I stocked up on it, requesting more and more and taking it from the bathrooms. unopened of course. anyways. I tried to stop all together so I bought every kind of glycerin soap I could find in the dial brand. kiwi, pomegranate, coconut, none of them appealed to me. thanks god I thought, until I opened the white peach with shae butter. that one perked up my senses and I've been addicted for about a year now. I do still go overboard to where even drinking water hurts my mouth. so I give it a rest for about a day or two but always go back. I've tried different ways of eating it, I like to cut it up and roll it into little balls and just pop those in my mouth when I get a craving. I like to cut it up different ways too. IDK why, but I do. I have to tell myself all the time not to go overboard. so I try to eat a little at a time and spread it out during the day. it is like my cigarette. I crave soap after every meal. only select stores sell Dial white peach with shae butter so if I'm running low, I have to start thinking of the surrounding stores and which one will sell it. around where I live only rite aid sells it, walmart does too but it's not as fresh as the ones from rite aid.

I have the same issue and would love to know what i can do to stop it. I have been doing this for years and I really don't know why. I have never been pregnant so i cant blame that. i do notice that i crave it most times when I am stressed or anxious. I never use what i bathe with i actually buy a bar just to eat it.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I want to eat soap so badly but im trying not to!!! The desire is sometimes so strong that I just cant help it. I dont really swallow it, mostly lick it and spit it out or at best chew it to get the taste then spit it out. It burns my mouth, lips and throat really badly so I avoid eating it as best as I can, but sometimes the urge is so strong, I cant resist taking a lick or two. My favorite soap to eat is Lux strawberry and cream and Lux cherry and cream, if only it wasn't so bad for me and it didn't hurt so much, id eat soap all day, haha XD. I don't like mixing it with water though, for me that dilutes the taste and I don't like that, i also only prefer soap bars not liquid soap. Reading through the comments here, I have to say, Im quite shocked at how many bars people consume in a day or week which in a way is killing themselves. Wanting to eat soap myself, I try my best not to because I know how bad it is for myself. An addiction that is harming our body is an addiction nevertheless....maybe those who feel they cant stop or dont want to stop should enroll in a program that helps kick addiction. There is nothing to be ashamed of in needing help to kick an addiction. Especially since soap IS pretty delicious!!! So get help, not just in talking about it but also some steps to kick the habit for good.

I never knew about this problem. Very informative.

wowwww al my life i though i was the one and only that EAT SOAP. I know it's not a good thing but i'm glad i'm not alone in this. I read online that there is a diagnosis for this and it's PICA. I have been doing this since i was 10/12 years old. I can eat DIAL (white and yellow) , IRISH SPRING starts messing with my stomach, and natural soap. I am from Haiti and there is a Soap that we hand wash clothes with and that is the number one out of all. The craving stopped for almost 10 years then came back, went away for 3 years and now it's back. I CAN EAT A BAR IN 2 TO 3 DAYS. I ALSO EAT ICE WHEN I CAN'T FIND THE KIND OF SOAP I WANT.

I just started smelling Irish spring it started with using it to wash my hands I went from washing my hands with it once to washing them three times everytime I use the rest room. From there wasing my hands three times while smelling the soap as i rub the soap against finger's. Although, I've never ate it and don't plan to because I know it's bad but my addition has ended up with me smelling it I even sleep with a bar so that I can constantly smell it under my blankets.

I also crave Irish spring soap, for me it started when I was little if I mouthed off I got the soap bar and started to like it I don't eat a lot just about a fingernail mark, but it got really intense during my pregnancy my mouth would water just thinking about it, I also developed a craving for tide powder laundry soap I'm not sure why it happens but now I don't feel like such a freak!