Hi. My brother was diagnosed with edema. I want to help him, but I`m not sure what to do. Is there anybody who could tell me more about edema management?

Hi. Edema management includes fluid and sodium restriction, diuretics and water pills. Fluid intake should be monitored. People with edema can easily gain the weight, so they have to be weighed daily. They should avoid drinking alcohol if liver disease is the cause of edema. Sometimes, vascular support hose is advised. Patients with edema must follow their prescribed therapy to treat the cause of the swelling. A friend of mine has a feet edema. He was told to keep his limbs above the heart level when lying down. However, he started to experience shortness of breath. His doctor told him to quit lying with limbs above the heart level. Reduced salt intake may be needed.