I have read every post on here and 1,000's others. This is my first post. I quit smoking 9 weeks ago, 53, pack a day 20 years. I still feel horrible, the worst problems being constipation and then edema for the last month. I have never had any kind of swelling. One day my right foot swelled, then the other foot, ankles, legs, and scrotum. My doctor thinks it is not heart failure after listening to my heart and lungs etc., and prescribed a water pill. I have been on the a week and the swelling has reduced but still there. Otherwise my voice comes and goes, I am bloated and constipated, low energy, shortness of breath at times. It is a chore to even walk. Before I quit I had plenty of energy, now a few weeks ago I went to walk around the block and was shocked that I couldn't do it. I quit drinking, improved my already decent diet, quit coffee, really trying to do the right thing.

I see a few posts about people getting edema after quitting. Has anyone else had that experience?

I've quit smoking about 2 dozen times in the past 15 years. Each time I eventually get edema in my feet, ankles, legs and sometimes in my lumbar region. Each time I've quit, I've used "The Patch", and because of the swelling and feeling so crappy, I've started smoking again. I've just quit again 5 days ago, (for the last time), and am doing it cold turkey because like you, I've had countless tests and the docs haven't come up with any explanation for the swelling. Either it's the patches or the liver cleansing and dumping the toxins (quoted from a Health Food Guru - who suggested Milk Thistle). The swelling doesn't usually begin until after 2 weeks off the nasty weed - so I'm doing my own test in the hopes of finding a solution. Otherwise I am a very healthy 55 year old. Have you thought about the possibility of your body trying to cleanse you of the toxins?

I quit smoking 8 weeks ago, 65, 3 miniture cigars a day for 12 years. I now feel horrible as well. Constipation, bloat when I eat----beano and gas x little relief, last 2-3 weeks water retention same as you both legs, feet and scrotum and bouts of shortness of breath. I felt great before I stopped smoking now I can hardly get from the parking lot to my office. EKG normal BP 118/75 Dr advices symptomsconsistant with withdrawal and will pass eventually some heavy nicotine users---e.g. cigar smokers-- take 12-15 weeks for symptoms to pass/abate----she tells me I need to hydrate more---currently only taking 1-2 glasses a day of water wants it increased to 6-8 8OZs per day----we'll see

i quit smoking 3 weeks ago,my feet ankles an calves swelled up real bad an even elevating them overnite doesnt help...i am taking a water pill an using anti em stockings.....i am a nurse an work 3 12 hour shifts in a row standing all day,,,,,,,this is killing me

I quit smoking 4 months ago after smoking for 20 years - I have continued to go to the gym as I have been for the past 5 years, started counting ww points again and I am swollen like a balloon in my belly and have now topped the scale with an additional 10 lbs. I also have developed eczema and my eye lids and on the top of my cheeks have swollen. The Dr. put me on sterorids then antibiotic. Nothing has worked yet. I hope it is just my body trying to cleanse itself. I will not smoke again and hope at 55 my body will return to normal I do not ever want to go through this again. I will keep you posted

iI too attributed edema in my legs and stomach, as well as extreme shortness of breath to quitting cigars, coffee and alcohol simutaneously in Feb '12. After 5 weeks of increasingly worse symptoms and denial I finally went to the local ER and after a blood test, EKG, ECHO cardiogram and a chest XRay I was confirmed with severe conjestive heart failure immediately admitted then transferred to a regional Heart Center the next day.  My EF (ejection fraction) was 9%, normal 55% -60% and the heart was swollen approx. 20%--------found out I was not a candidate for a heart transplant as my kidney and liver were also effected----not good. I was given 6 months to life without a transplant or insertion of a LVAD (left ventricale assist device---ie a heart pump).  My heart failure is non ischemic atrial flutter.   I was treated with ablasion----("electric welding" inside my heart) via catherters in my legs and arm to address abnormal beating of the heart (290 top 90 bottom).  No LVAD nor ICD.  Today is the one year anniversary of being discharged from the heart hospital after a 19 day stay.   With medication (primarily 50MG of COREG daily), exercise (2 miles walking 6 days a week), low (1500-2000 MG daily) sodium/salt and maintaing a 40 lbs weight loss I feel great--my heart slowly improved and symptoms have disappeared.  Last check in Nov '12 my EF was up to 40-45% AND HEART REMODELED (SHRUNK) TO NEAR NORMAL SIZE---Playing golf, boating, traveling and enjoying my wife, family and especially our new grandson.  My advice STOP going on line for medical advice----you will just accept the ones you want to hear--------go to a medical professional and have some basic tests run--e.g.--blood CBC, EKG, Chest XRay, ECHO cardiogram-----it may save your life it did mine.   Nick

I'm 31, smoked 15 years quit 35 days ago and off the patch 28 days. Im am having a hard time in the morings with stiff painful joints and swollen, very painful ankles. I had no idea this could be a result from quitting, I have had this over a week now, how long will it last?

I hope you are feeling much better and stay that way. I too have an enlarged heart from stopping to smoke with out a doctors visit and now am getting medical treatment two years later. Did not go to the doctor or the ER just kept going in to work. Bad mistake! Quit coach said I was not having a reaction to the patch because I had no rash and that was poison in my system making me swell and would go away. What a lie!

I have had the exact same symptoms after I quit smoking--I felt so much better when I was smoking. Now my body is, bloated, I have heartburn after I eat anything, I have shortness of breath, low energy, and I have gained about 15 pounds in one month. What is going on??? This is very depressing and I'm ready to start smoking again.

Yes i have also quit since 1st janf today11days and have seen both my ankles and feet swollen up. Infact both legs show the swelling symptons. Is this normaland would go awa,y after some time?. I am getting paranoid and thinking of getting back to cigs. Need advise.

Describes me to a T and I'm so depressed because of it. I'm trying so hard to succeed with not smoking, been 38 days, so tired of a these symptoms though

I am 31, and have quit cold turkey for 6 weeks.. I have bad pain in my feet and I have been trying to workout why.. I think it is a combination of repressed emotions and stress. I think when I was smoking I never let any of my emotions surface when stressed, and in bottling them up and self medicating through nicotine my body and mind was so stressed it never had a chance to leave fly or fight mode.. I can be so nasty and it feels like a major energy blockage in my body...

I'm 39 years old. My wife and I quit smoking six months ago yesterday. I had been smoking for 11 years, about a pack a day. Within the past couple of months I've noticed my ankles have been swollen a little when I take my shoes and socks off in the evening. Yesterday morning I woke up and my left foot was swollen twice it's normal size. Some of the swelling went down last night with a cold compress and elevating my foot, but not completely. I too have had weird joint aches. My left shoulder was killing me a week and a half ago when I woke up. It comes and goes, but it still hurts. I don't know what the deal is. I've put on maybe 30 pounds in the six months since I quit smoking, but I figured that was typical due to quitting. As others have noted, I also feel bloated/constipated all the time, I have heartburn even when I haven't eaten anything. I felt better when I smoked! I think it's time to make an appointment with the doctor. Hope you all get your issues figured out!

58 yo 40 year smoker and feeling some better since my quit! Oct 27 2014 I started with the E Cig and Nov 6th 2014 was my last cigarette. Feb 19 2015 was my last nicotine!  Still using the E Cig 0 Juice probably hit it 6 or 8 times a day.

Drink Water...lots of water!

Tired (extreme at times), irritable (some people really have a death wish), loud gastric disturbances (embarrassing), Bloating is putting it mildly ( I looked 9 months prego) Gained at least 30 lbs if not more, shortness of breath like I could not get a deep breath (this is finally better after learning some deep breathing exercises)  and the EDEMA in my legs, ankles, feet and hands is the worst.

I will never go back to the nicotine....ever! I do not ever want to go through this again. Being a puss when I am sick or hurt is my MO....I have been a puss for 6 months!!!

I tritrated the nicotine down in my E Cigs from 6 mg  New Years untill the Feb 19 quit and I went  to 0. I hated the psycholoical withdrawal while on the E Cigs....some said I went to fast. It was not until I was off or very low on the nicotine that I started to feel like c**p the physical part was pretty hard to handle. If I had know these symptoms ahead of time I would probably not thought I was going crazy.

Best advice I can give is.....Drink water folks....lots of water.... take your vitamins, exercise if you can. Most of all give yourself a break and do not make any permanent decisions while you are quiting.

I am so happy I found this site!    I also stopped smoking 5 months ago after 30 years and 2 packs a day and I am a MESS!    I am all bloated in my belly, I have gained 25 pounds, I am short of breath, My whole face has broken out awful and now I have a new one that is BOILS on my body!   I think I just want to cry and I just want my body back!    I DO NOT want to start smoking again but cn anyone help me at all as to how long I will be so sick and feel so so bad