Hi. My friend has a senior dog. She bought it from me when he was a puppy. We didn’t know each other back then, she saw the ad that said ‘’Dalmatian puppies for sale’’ and she called me. She immediately fell in love with my favuorite puppy Kim and she bought him.

We’ve been hanging around together ever since.

Now Kim is a senior dog and he has heart problems. She really takes great care of him.

We wanted to ask you here do you know what is the best diet for dogs who have heart problems? Thank you in advance.

Here are some tips.

First of all not only does she have to keep good care of what he eats, she needs to maintain his ideal body weight. So no weight loss, no obesity, just optimal weight if she wants him to remain good.

When it comes to diet, she needs to pay attention to the protein levels her dog will be consuming through his diet. Despite of what everybody’s saying,  I don’t think that low calorie diet is ideal for dogs with heart disease. I think the best choice would be high quality diet with at least 25-30% meat-based protein.

I think that a diet for dogs with heart diseases must contain some supplements.

Sometimes heart diseases are caused by taurine or carnitine deficiencies. She should test these levels and if they’re low, start using the supplements. Even if they aren’t, the dog wouldn’t mind the supplementation. I know that supplementation of carnitine is also great for heart problems because it helps support heart muscle.

When a dog is on diuretics electrolytes need to be replaced.  And it wouldn’t be bad if the diet consisted of food rich in vitamin B and magnesium. Or she can also use supplements to replace them. Of course taking them through food is much better.

Hey. Heart problems are common in both – cats and dogs. I totally agree with Mia. Food that she is giving to her dog plays huge role in treatment of senior dog with hearth problems.

Sometimes when you discover that your dog has hearth problems your vet can recommend some therapies that include weight control, maybe some nice and gentle exercises and he can also prescribe some other drugs. Actually a lot of them.

I remember that my friend told me that her vet recommended a low – salt diet to minimize water retention after her dog, who was 7 years old, diagnosed with hearth problems.

I’ve heard that it is very important that you include omega 3 fatty acids in the diet of a dog with heart problems. I know that many other supplements are desirable such as:  Taurine, Carnitine, B vitamins and Magnesium.And here are some food brands that produce food acceptable for dogs with heart problems: Acana, Canidae, Orijen, some varieties of EVO, Felidae , some varieties of Halo… and so on.Of course before she decides to start feeding her dog with any of these, she should consult with her vet and let him decide if the food is appropriate, just in case.

I had a dog with heart problems. He eventually ran away and he never appeared again. We heard that a neighbor found him at took him with her, but we never saw him since. Too bad cause I think we would’ve taken better care of him.
My mother found everything about the appropriate diet for him, and here is what I remember -Diet for dogs who have heart issues needs to have restricted sodium levels to limit fluid retention. In this diet taurine and L-carnitine need to be added along with amino acids that in some cases can help support and improve heart function. You also need to add B-vitamins and magnesium to the dog’s diet. That’s all I remember.

Older dog heart problems are common and your senior dog is really likely to develop some type of heart disease. Hearth is really complex organ. Choosing the right food in this case can be a huge challenge. Here is the guide to fat content levels.

• Low fat – less than 10 percent,
  • Moderate fat – between 10 and 15 percent and
  • High fat – over 20 percent.

If your dog has pancreas problems, a formula contains between 9 and 12 fat. You always need to keep the protein content above average because low levels of protein can make pancreatitis worse.

If your dog is overweight higher protein content is a good thing if you are trying your dog to lose weight.

Hey. A diet with reduced amounts of sodium is generally necessary.  If your pet requires a diet with some salt restriction, than you need to consult your vet because he may provide a special prescription diet program.

If you are taking care of your pet’s sodium intake levels, you should know that snakes such as cheese, hot dogs etc can be really high in sodium. So don’t give it to your pet.

You can always add some supplements such as vitamin B, omega – 3 fatt acids, taurine, carnitine, magnesium, etc.

It is always hard to tell what the diet program is best for your senior dog. That is why you need to consult your vet about it.

Good luck.

Hello. Hearth diseases and problems burns a lot of energy especially in senior dogs. That is why your dog need good and quality diet program if you want him to live nice and normal life. It is very important to give your dog enough omega 3 fatty acids in food and you should also reduce salt intake for your dog. This problem is really complicated but thanks to all those diet programs that experts are recommending us your dog will be fine. My friend Marco have a dog and he is struggling with his hearth problems for three years. It is really hard time for him but his dog is like every other dog.