My daughter who is of 4years and 9months old has started learning Bharatanatyam (south indian dance) in which the main part of the body used is the knee and the ankle >:( .
One of my colleague said that learning bharatanatyam at this age will affect her knees which will aggravate at an age of 25 years. so the dance should be taught at an age of 07years.

Can someone give me some advice regarding this so that I will have some relief from and awareness.

Hi there, I am not aware with the type of dancing that your daughter is doing but so long as the knee is not strained in different positions and primarly sticks to bending, she should be fine. What do you think?

This is very true, I am a dance teacher and dance at an early age for children is very good, however I would try doing ballet and tap until she is old enough. Ballet and tap are the bases for almost all other types of dance.

Hi, I have been a professional Bharathanatyam dancer for more than 15 yrs, and also have continued to practice this dance as a mode of exercise since I got married and relocated. Well it is very true to agree that this dance gave me excellent health but, have you ever once sat back and thought what happens to your knees and other joints and bones in the lower extremities while the dancer bangs her/his feet against hard surfaces with bare feet repeatedly over prolonged period of time(like years)? Answer is simple - you get degenerative arthritis, especially your right knee is the first one to give up by around age 30-40. Being a doctor I strongly advice this kind of dance form to be practiced and performed with a pair of dance shoe(something like tennis shoe) so that it can minimize all the repeated blows and jerks while absorbing shocks perceived by the joints(not only knee, but also ankle, tarsal and hip). Finally I conclude Bharathanatyam is not only a form of entertainment, exercise or something to keep up our tradition but it is a TALENT! which should be executed with utmost precautions like with the use of appropriate dancing shoes.

Hi, being both a professional Bharathanatyam dancer and also a doctor I worry about the effects of dancing with bare foot. Have you ever sat back and thought about what happens to the joints and bones of the lower extremities while a dancer bangs her/his foot against hard surfaces over prolonged periods of time(like years)? Answer is simple - Dancer will develop Degenerative Arthritis! I strongly advice the use of appropriate dancing shoe(something like tennis shoe) so that it can minimize the blows and jerks and insults while absorbing the shocks to the joints( esp the knee joints not excluding the tarsal, ankle , also hip). Dancing to this art form is risky without appropriate precautions. Right knee is the first one to give up by age 30- 40, depending on the frequency and intervals of dancing. Finally I conclude this Bharathanatyam form of dance is not only a good mode of entertainment, exercise and something about keeping up our tradition but, it is definitely a TALENT! which should be enjoyed with some preventive measures like with a pair of simple dancing shoe. Hope the shoe companies would love to help us by designing appropriate Bharathanatyam Shoe! It sounds funny but it is going to be a life saver.