I am a 27 year old woman who suffered a lisfranc dislocation/ fracture on 07/09/06 with 1st intertarsal dislocation, and 2nd-5th metatarsal-tarsal dislocations. They did surgery that night, as the foot was obviously deformed. At 9 and a half weeks, the pins came out, but I still am supposed to remain non-weight bearing until 12 weeks. The screws will remain in the foot. It has been a rough road. I also broke my elbow so I have been wheel chair bound this whole time. Right now I have aching pain and swelling, but hoping for the best.
I guess my injury was pretty severe, and I keep hearing horror stories about the prognosis. So if some people could let me know their good fortunes that would be very helpful. I am pretty athletic, and becoming quite anxious to getting back to a normal life.

I was in a car accident and slammed on the breaks as I was slamming into another vehicle. My injury was misdagnosed and a year later I had the joints fused. (in june) I had to stay off of my foot and keep it elevated for three months. I went to a cam boot after that. I was so miserable not being able to do anything for those 3 months that I went into depression. I can't imagine what I would do if I had a broken elbow too.

Well keep your spirits up. It's almost 4 months later and I start easing into shoes this week. I have very little pain with the cam boot. My knee pops out a little and that hurts. If i stand too long then i get a little tiny pain in the top of my foot. It does ache when storms come around though. But once they're gone..

I am so happy with my doc and the way the surgery went. The feeling of being able to be up out of the wheel chair, off crutches...is wonderful. Keep your spirits up you will be there too. The swelling will get less and less. I used to be a runner but now I'm going to start swimming. I have taken some walks around the block with no problems so far.

make sure you take care of yourself. don't worry about anything else right now but healing. I know that since I stayed off of it for 3 months everything healed the way it should. It's so awesome to walk with no pain. You'll be there soon!

Hi Stephani & Guest: Welcome to the Lisfranc club! Follow these threads for a lot of information. The first thread is 15 pages full of information and the second thread is because the first thread got too full. I would really appreciate it if you would do all of your Replys on the 2nd thread.

Some weblinks state that only 1 out of 55,000 persons present with a lisfranc injury so we're a rare breed.

Part I:
https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/lisfranc-foot&name=LISFRANC_FOOT&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Part II:
https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/lisfranc-foot-fracture-thread-part-ii

Cheers, Kelly

Part I

I'm a 45 year old lady who was scared off by my daughter's scream (well, I was next to her and she screamed when she saw a lizard in the drawer that she has opened!!) and tried to move away but instead twisted and felled to the ground. I was in great pain holding on to my foot while on the ground for about 5 mins. That fateful day was 12th Aug 06.

My husband scolded me instead of pacifying and suggested that I should see a chinese physician as it doesn't look serious (He can't fathom the pain that I am having since it's not his). Well, this silly physician had confiirmed on 2 occasions that my foot was not fractured and that swelling will subside in a weeks's time. 12 days past and the swelling is still there. Finally I decided that I should go for x-ray to confirm no fracture to ease my mind.

The x-ray revealed 2 injuries - a twisted fracture at the 2nd metatarsal and a lisfranc fracture at 1st and 2nd metatarsal joint! :'(

Part 2

I was hoping and hoping that surgery's not required when I was referred to the foot specialist on 31st Aug 06, but alas, no. The surgery was scheduled on 4th Sept 06. They fixed a metal plate with 4 screws on my
2nd metatarsal for the twisted fracture, and 2 nos. 3.6cm screw on my 1st and 2nd metatarsal joint. I was hospitalised for 4 days, on plaster cast for 1 month before they changed to another moulded back cast (with holes so that your leg can breathe). My next visit is on 31st Oct 06 and I am still on medical leave. Doc says it takes 3 months for the foot to heal and I have to use crutches. My left leg has become so thin that it looks horrible. It's frustrating because you can't be your normal self and I am counting the days when I can walk again. To me, the 1st month is like 1 year. All thanks to my daughter's scream that caused this misery. Life has to go on. To be continued..... :-(

Hi Sporelady: Welcome to the Lisfranc club! Click on the links below for others that have the same injury. I myself broke my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsal on February 20 and I'm still hobbling around. Anyhow, there's quite a few of us that are sharing information on the links below and learning to manage our expectations and develop patience.... tee hee Patience being the hardest for me. Apparently only 1 out of 55,000 injured persons obtain a lisfranc injury and in the old days they used to chop off your foot so consider yourself lucky that its now!

Part I - 15 pages of information and other people's experience:

Part II - 3 pages continued from Part 1:

Cheers, Kelly

Hi Kelly

Wow, it's already 10 months and you are still hobbling around?? I had initially thought that after the 1st 3 months of post operation, I should be able to get up and move around easily and to remove the screws within 6 to 12 months after that and all the problems will be solved.

Now I know it's not as simple as that. I am getting worried for the future.

Take care and wish everyone here early recovery..

Continuation of my injury - Part 3 will be posted at:

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Lisfranc_Foot_Fracture_Thread_PART_II_t82763.html

Cheers

I suffered a severe Lisfranc fracture when my husband and I were hit walking across a street. He hit the hood and landed on my foot. My foot instantly looked like a mess. It was the worst pain I have ever had and I have had a lot of surgery for cancer and this was worse. I had surgery and pins and screws. I refused a hard cast so that I could move my ankle
around. I had a tall walking cast even though I could not walk on it for 8 weeks. But I could remove the cast and move my ankle and message my upper leg. I also applied DMSO to the foot after the incisions healed. After 5 weeks I asked for the pin to be removed as it seemed like it was
hurting me. I asked to start swimming after 5 weeks but the doctor said no. So I started swimming anyway as I thought that I was about to go into a depression. I got a knee walker and my son would take me to the pool and I would lower my self to my butt with him behind me holding me under my arm pits. Swimming felt great.I also asked for the pins to be removed a lot earlier that they like to ( 4 months instead of 6 or more). Every time I would see my doctor he would say that I was way ahead of the curve for such a severe fracture/dislocation. It has been a very long road. I also started riding my road bike..I could ride but I could not walk. Riding acutally started the muscles moving. I can now walk but I seem to have hit a certain level. My other legs Knee hurts form the uneven hobbling and the over work from the crutches and knee walking. My foot hurts on the top and is numb at certain areas near the toes. From time to time I get shooting pains that are random and sharp...I suppose that is nerves trying to regenerate. I also used Nerontin / Lyrica early on..this is very important as it helps to block nerve and possibly circumvent chronic pain. I was on it for some time but stopped due to other reasons. I probably should go back on. I can definetly tell a difference between damp cold weather and sunny and dry. The swelling has taken a long time to really go down and the foot is still a bit swollen atleast at the top of the arch where the metatarsals were fractures. I love to walk and I was always a fast walker, my kids would always complain that I walked to fast..slow down...now I am the one saying slow down.

You will feel better--people can recover from these injuries really well. I think the hardest part is getting through the no weight bearing phase....
I am 25 y/o female who had a Lisfranc fracture/dislocation of 1st and 2nd metatarsals. I hurt my foot in a motorcycle accident (luckily, except for some gnarly road rash this was the only injury) when my husband and I spun out and slid down a hill in San Francisco. I think I was initially in shock, b/c I did't even notice the injury to my foot (shredded and bleeding all over the place besides the fracture), until I tried to stand up and couldn't put weight on it (didn't hurt yet, it wouldn't physically support me). We went home and I changed my clothes and tried to pick all of the fabric out of the road rash. We eventually went to the ER b/c my husband hurt his should (a sprain). I still could barely hobble. While we were there it started to hurt and I started shaking uncontrollably (trying to ignore it). The ER guy noticed this and suggested I get an x-ray of my ankle (also very swollen). I DID say to him that my foot hurt much worse than my ankle, but they did not take foot films. They found no ankle fracture and ended up wrapping my foot and giving me an air cast and crutches. I spent the evening in a haze of vicodin (which I HATED). the next day my foot was so swollen I couldn't fit the aircast over it, let alone put a shoe on. The next day I went to work (orthopaedic surgery research) and the ortho docs I work with took a look at my foot. They said it was "classic" lisfranc method of injury and diagnosed it even before I got the weight bearing films. So, I got on the surgery schedule of our "foot guy" and had surgery later that week. The surgery SUCKED! The swelling in my foot wouldn't go down and I was ordered to stay in bed with my foot up above my heart....this was torture for me, so I went back to work after 4 days and just stuck my foot up on my desk. The pain meds made me really sleepy and out of it, so I stopped taking them and my foot hurt constantly at first. I ended up being non-weightbearing for almost 10 weeks. Then I was in a CAM walker for another couple of months. About 4 months after the surgery I took the CAM walker and went hiking in the rain forest in Central America. This was a bit painful, but I was really happy to be hiking again. I was pretty aggressive in getting back to physical activity. Even while I was non-weight bearing I started swimming every other day. They had to use the wheelchair thing to lower me into the pool! Once I got the CAM walker I walked as much as possible. I rode the stationary bike a lot, too. I did all of this even though it hurt, and, eventually, it stopped hurting so badly! Now, I am 15 months past the original injury....I went skiing in Tahoe 8 times this winter! I have gone on a lot of hikes! I walk to work again! Sometimes my foot bothers me, I still get a sharp pain in my foot, I get bad arch cramps a lot, the shoe rubs my foot practically raw where a screw sticks out of the side of my foot, my arch and foot get kind of sore if I have overdone it (which I frequently do), but I think it is really possible to live the same kind of active life you did before your injury! These are all liveable things. I think that the aggressive activity I did post-op really helped me get back into the swing of things. Just wait, once you get off the crutches, you will be raring to go! I have not undergone screw removal yet but I plan to soon.

don't know about some people's injury but my experience with Lisfranc hasn't been that bad. Its been bad (crutches) but not horrible when you look at what other injuries are out there.

I injured my foot initially in the beginning of April.

I had surgery at the end of April and they put two screws in.

I was on a non-weightbearing cast for 3 weeks, the worst part of the injury is the crutches and not being able to carry anything in your hands because you are on crutches. The foot hasn't hurt much at all except for the weekend of the injury.

As of this week i'm on a weight bearing cast :-)))))))))))))))) i'm so glad to be on a weight bearing cast its great. Well this is 3 weeks post surgery with 2 pins in my foot. I wil check back in with the Dr. in 3 more weeks and hopefully get the cast off and get a walking boot on.

The Dr. said I can resume full use of my foot (Basketball, Football, Running) 7 months post injury so like in October.

He said that the lisfranc joint would be healed and would be as strong as it was before. But the important thing is to get the seperation space within the joint closed so I dont have problems with artheritis later in life.

I am a 42 year old female who fell through the attic ceiling on Aug 7, 2007. I hit the step ladder on the way down and was quickly transported to the trauma center. The diagnosis: Lisfranc fracture-dislocation. Medial dislocation of the medial cuneiform and first digit. There is probable avulsion fracture at the medial base of the second metatarsal with lateral dislocation of the second through fifth metatarsals. There is minimally displaced fracture at the lateral base of the fourth metatarsal. A small avulsion fracture at the tip of the medial malleolus. Immediate surgery resulted in 3 internal pins and 2 external K-wires.

The ER gave me a boot to wear and told me to follow up with an Orthopedist in a week. After follow up on 15 Aug, I was given a plaster splint and told to return in a week. On 20 Aug, my plaster splint was replaced by a fiberglass cast and I was told I would have to have a non weight bearing cast on for at least 12 weeks and then 4 months of gradual weight bearing. My pins are to be removed at the 6 week mark.

I have read that many people are walking after only 6 weeks and that many did not have to wear a cast at all. I dread having to wear a cast for almost 6 or 7 months. For those who wore a cast for an extensive period of time, did they take it off and replace it at periodic intervals?

Hi msLiz, This certainly is a fun injury isnt it?? Joking of course.I am a 45 yr old female that had undergone surgery on 6/18/2007.I fractured my lisfranc and broke 1,2,3 medatarsals.So im pinned, plated and got some screws in therealong with some k wire.(my 665lb motorcycle fell onto my foot pinning me)I wasnt casted at all after surgery.Ive been in a cam boot the whole time.It seems like the way doctors treat this injury is varied for some reason.Guess they all have their own perceptions as to what is the best outcome.I started gradual weight bearing yesterday using the crutches.For the next 3 weeks I will gradually increase the amount of weight I put onto the foot.By the 4th week doc wants me to have a sneaker on the foot and go without crutches.Im shocked when I read that some people are walking after this type of injury a mere few weeks post op.I couldnt imagine.Maybe it depends on the severity or something.Hope ive helped you somewhat.Ive had a torn ACL (replaced it actually) and that injury felt like a black and blue compared to this one.Take care :>)

I had a car accident on 12/2 and slammed on my brakes REAL hard. I knew something was wrong when I stepped out of the car and couldnt put my foot down without PAIN. ER xrayed and CT scanned it and said it looked like a lisfranc injury. Went to a DPM at an ortho group with an excelent reputation. Surgery to put 2 screws in (the foot didnt hurt that bad until AFTER the surgery) on 12/10. Hard casts and no weight bearing for 6-1/2 weeks with xrays every 3 weeks. Said I kept healing fine. Now I'm in a CAM boot with 50% weight bearing and I just started driving again (but I have to change into a Teva shoe to drive). The pain is tolerable, but I hear such horror stories and I'm scared I'll never get my regular life back. But I trust in my dr. and have done and will continue to do exactly as she says. Just thought I'd share my story. Good luck everyone and good healing.......

I broke my foot on June 18,2007. Had surgery the next day by a well know foot surgeon from a well know group. Screws still in as of today 2/22. Nonweight bearing for 12wks. Hard cast 2 wks, then a boot with no weight. It has been a long hard road. My foot still hurts every time I take a step. I feel doomed for a life of agony. Can someone please tell me if it helped the pain to have the screws out. Please someone reply. I need a friend.