My 15 year old granddaughter has bad cramping during her cycle and for some reason her knees ache very badly. She said she cried during her 4th hour of school the other day and this is happening every month. She's a large girl--5'8 and weighs about 280 lbs.! Is now going to W.W. and has lost 28 lbs. thanks
yanksgirl

My knees always ache a few days before the start of my period, not to the point of your daughter but enough to make me ask my doctor. They brushed me off but I wonder if there isn't something else going on, doesn't seem right. Let me know if you find out anything.

I have the same thing your granddaughter has. It started the day i got my first period (age 12) and I am now 20. This horrible knee pain is like clockwork and sometimes even alerts me that my period has started. I have been relying on strong painkillers all this time, but if i dont take them early enough, the pain gets worse and worse and I eventually pass out.

this is so frustrating and no doctor can tell me what it is! everyone thought i was making it up in school, so i really feel for your granddaughter. i have looked into symptoms of endometriosis, lymphoedema, and even psychological pain manifestation, but those options are not quite the same as what i have.

if you find out anything new please let me know... i have almost resigned myself to taking painkillers for the rest of my life, and i dont think my liver would thank me for that. God bless.

I also have knee pain before my period, I have asked my doctor about it and they brushed me off too. I have no idea why it happens, but me and my moms theory is that im lacking some sort of vitamin more than normal because my period is taking vitamins that i would normally have. Im deffinatly prolly not even close to right but it drives me nuts not knowing why it happens, its refreshing to here others share my problem. :-/

This happens to my daughter too, she can't get an answer either. Show's how much Doctors know about what's going on in a woman's body when she's on her period eh?

I haven't had any cramps for about a year now and Yesterday when I started my period, boy was the cramp bad.
Then my left knee had a tingly feeling to it and now that the cramps are gone, my knee hurts.
The pain comes and goes. I have no idea what it is, but I hope it goes away soon.

I have exaclty the same thing. My knees has been causing me pain ever since I was a baby and at that point I was told it was just growing pains. I'm 20 now and sure that I am not still growing at the same rate whatsoever. The pain happens at night during my monthly cycle and can be very painful at times to the point of bringing me to tears and waking me from sleep. I try a variety of creams or resort to strong painkillers.

It is comforting to hear that others have the same problem and that i'm not the only one. I hope for the sake of all of us that they soon figure what it is, i'm afraid that it has been with me my whole life and I have become somewhat used to it. Who knows if theres any cure...All the best.

I have had aching knees for as long as I can remember, I am 19 now and I have noticed that they have started to regulate themselves a bit more and only happen mostly around what i think is my ovulation so for 3 or 4 days they will ache and the only way the aching stops is if i take painkillers, otherwise it gets worse and worse till i feel like i cant stand up anymore. Have never been to the doctors about it because i dont know anybody else who has the same problem as me and would rather not get every doctor to tell me they dont know so if anybody finds out what this is please let me know :)

Thank God I stumbled upon this discussion. I too thought I was one of the few people on Earth who experienced such a problem. My knee/joint pain has been occuring for as long as I can remember to the point where I have memories as a little kid of waking up at night and crying my eyes out from the pain. Years later, I've learned to tolerate the pain or I've just gotten used to it. Now it occurs before the weather changes and days before my period. The only thing that can help me is some type of pain killer (which I try not to use in fear of damaging my kidneys) or stretching out my legs fully (only helps a little). My father mentioned to me once that he went through the same pains as a kid and that it stopped once he entered adulthood. My younger brother (now 8) also has started feeling the same pain both my father and I went through, but my other two siblings never experienced this. I too have been brushed off by doctors numerous times and have gotten to the point where I gave up. I thought maybe it could be something hereditary since my father had this as well, but now that I'm almost 20, I'm skeptical to the idea that it could be a growing pain. Has anyone found an answer? Please, if someone has gotten an answer keep the rest of us posted.

It was interesting to read this thread and realise that I was not unique. I too had severe pains in both knees roughly 36 hours before the start of a period, finally easing on day 2 of my period, which often reduced me to tears. I never needed to consult my diary - I always knew when a period was imminent. The pain was so bad I had to take the max dose of ibuprofen and this only took the worst edge off the pain. My knees felt very inflamed and indeed I used a press-on thermometer and noticed a rise in temperature. Cold packs also helped temporarily. I had this problem from the ages of 30 to say 42. It gradually eased off and by menopause ten years later had been long gone. I think it must have been some hormonal glitch and I was unlucky. I also have fibromyalgia but this was the only menstrual-related pain that I had, so I'd be surprised if it was related to the FM. X rays revealed nothing, and physicians seemed to think I was mad. I suspect if you don't have endometriosis (get checked) then it is indeed hormonal and as others have said treat this as severe period pain.

Hope that helps, cheers.

i work in a medical office and get ibuprofen 800 for the pain  i did not have this pain untill i had suffered knee pain from taking Levaquin for an upper respiratory infection a few years ago i believe Levaquin damaged knee tendons while taking it my knees hurt so bad with my mensus i could almost cry i am curious to see what the diagnosis will be given for knee pain with mensus 

How amazing, I thought I was alone with the knee ache before my period! I only seem to get it in my right knee for one or two days but have always had it before my period starts. I too use it as an indicator rather than my diary. I also get cramp these days, and a couple of pain killers are necessary to ease the knee and the tummy.... I don't put the ache in my knee down to anything too sinister, just referred pain in the same way that others experience back ache during their period....

I too am happy to know I'm not crazy or alone in this complaint. Behind my knees ache so bad before my period and first day or so of it, especially at nigh, in bedt. I've asked 2 doctors but got the brush off. I have found relief by elevating just under my knees with pillows. thanks and good luck to all!

I am so glad I found this thread. I am almost 26 and have had this severe knee pain for as long as I can remember. I sometimes have to leave work because I am in so much pain. It often brings me to tears. People have stopped acknowledging that I even mention knee pain because it happens about a week before I start all the way through my period til the last day and sometimes a week after. Doctors also brushed it off and said it wa probably just runners knee and gave me a list of stretches to do suggesting my quad muscles weren't strong enough. I was a cheerleader and did track and field for many years. I highly doubt it is runners knee. Personally I think we know our own bodies and I know this aching pain is not normal. I plan on seeing my doctor again soon and will write again. In the meantime I hope to see what anyone else finds out.

i was looking at this and came across this coz i get this problem too (have it now actually) a few days b4 my period like clock work the pain starts and lasts till a few days in... i don't bother with pain killers coz they don't help but I found that getting my partner to rub my knees helps imensly and eases the acheing for a good few hours... but since he doesnt like to sit and rub my knees for 4 days lol I tried something (which I hope will help some of u) ... I have a foot massager quite heavy so when u lay on ure tummy and put the foot massager in the back of your knees it sits there quite comfortably and I found this works a treat mine has heat too and that really helps.. It doesnt fix the problem but eases the pain for a few hrs while I lay there and watch tv in bed xx good luck i hope this works for you if you try it xx

Sarah