I'm considering different ways to xtrain during the winter (1 or 2 days a week). Kickboxing sounds interesting. How hard is this on the body? I'm not interested in the aerobic class version, I would want to learn the real art of kickboxing to stay toned and to learn self defense.

As with regular boxing are there weight divisions in kickboxing, or doesn't this matter? I'm pretty light and could imagine a very buff chick kicking my scrawny butt half way to Calcutta. :o

Take care,

Shelly

Yes, sport kickboxing has weight classes like boxing. Depending on the club you do not have to compete; but, I think most do. You will probably spend a lot of time hitting shields held by a partner with leg and hand techniques.

I have been in the martial arts for over 11 years, so if you have more/specific questions, fire away 8)

Hi Shelee:
I participate in kickboxing once weekly, sometimes twice. I don't think it's hard on your body if your instructor is reputable and teaches you proper form. I belong to a studio here where there is an option to spar with a partner (no shields or bags) on Saturdays, but i never do; we don;t have to. I like my face intact. I believe they do a good job matching weight/size groups though, so you don't have 165lb 5'11 chick going up against a 100 lb 5'0 chick. I haven't noticed any adverse effects other than some bruising when I don't use proper form. We fight with partners with shields and bags, but it took me a while to get to that; first was learning the moves and form. It's a great form of stress relief, and it also is very empowering as far as self-defense goes. I think it got me out of a very dangerous situation two summers ago. I personally have a lot more self-confidence as far as protecting myself. Not cockiness or amything, but i know I can fight someone off if i have to.

What else do you want to know? Feel free to e-mail me or PM me; I;ll be happy to answer (or attempt to) whatever questions you might have. Good luck with it! And have fun too. Talk to ya later! :)

OK, you said fire away: An aerobic and martial arts studio close by said that there's an instructor who "kicks" with a few women on the weekend, but nothing very serious. Not very enthusiastic to try this class. As far as other martial arts go, there are other studios here. I'm not interested in karate, but would go for something that is comparable to the control and flexibility one uses in dance. I studied classical ballet for over 15 years. I wouldn't mind branching out into something martial arts related that uses some of the form and flexibilty I used as a dancer. Some of the kickboxing moves looked very interesting from a dancer's perpsective. Can you advice a type of martial art that offers tone, flexitibliy and self defence. My feet and toes are just a mess from the dancing and now running. Class once a week would be a nice break for them. Shelly

Hi Shelly, sorry for the delay. I must have cleared the unread flag before I saw the message.

If you are only looking to supplement your training with a kickboxing class, you should probably stick with a form of arobic kickboxing. It goes my many names such as Cardio Kick, Tae Bo, etc depending on copyrights. Most martial art schools offer this, as well as, fitness gyms.

Try a class at each. Ask questions about the instructors. Do they use gloves? Do they hit bags/shields? do they do partner training? Do they have a martial arts background or just an aerobic background. For self defense purposes it is better to have an instructor who has a MA background. They can help you see what would be effective.