I am 52, female. And in past few years I have problems with my knee joint. I never had injury or anything that would rupture my knees, but for the past years they are very painful. I sometimes need help to stand up because I feel this weakness in my knees. This was especially obvious after 1 week skiing. After that week, when we returned, I was unable to walk. What is going on with my knees? Is this normal that women over 50 yrs of age have problems with their knee joints?

Hello!
I am 25 and have the same problem. I really do not know how this problems are connected to age, but I know that knees are very much connected to sex and that females have bigger problems with knee joint than males.
Then, another thing, you say you are over 50 yrs of age, I guess you are in menopause. Did you consider you have possible problems with osteoporosis? I do not want to scare you, but this is very common with women in menopause and it is disease that gradually advances. I am just suggesting that you check this with your doctor.
But, I am posting this because I understand you completely. After 10 days of skiing, I was unable to walk normally. I never experienced something like that before. I noticed this year especially that skiing is putting big pressure on the knees and if you have problems with knee joist, you should slow it down on skies.
Regards!

I also have knee problems. My dad had knee surgery before 50 and he was in athletics. My weight and having over 10 years in gymnastics are big contributers to my problem. Skiing would hurt now I am sure. My dad told me about the suplement Glucosamine and Chondroitin which helps tremendously; they build tendons and bones. I strongly suggest taking these daily; they can be purchased at the grocery store. I also wear a spandex knee brace when doing sports for added support (found in any sports store).
And don't forget the calcium supplement w/ vit D in it.

Best regards!
Eve :-D

hi ,i can only figure that you have sex from behind alot,''doggiie style''tends to put a big strain on the knees causeing the joints to wear over time.if you are 25 then you would want to reframe from this position it only gets worse as over the years if you continue to let this impact,wear your joints.try lying on your back with your knees more towards your chest.its much better in the long haul.and if your not use to this position ,it may be painful until your muscles get broken in.other wise put up with the knee pain.