Hello everyone,

I've been diagnosed with peripheral artery disease quite some time ago and recently I've started feeling some sort of pain in my legs. It happened only when I was trying to exercise so eventually I went to talk to my doctor. He asked me a couple of question and then told me that I have intermittent claudication which means that I have too little blood flow.

As a treatment, he said that I should exercise anyway and that it would help me, but it is painful, like I already told you. So does anyone know how effective this exercise therapy would be?

Hey Alan,

I know it is painful, a friend of mine had this condition some time ago and he got the same recommendation from his doctor, and it helped him. I think that you need to try it with exercise, I know it is painful but you've got to give it a try. Usually, lifestyle changes, such as quitting smoking and participating in a regular exercise regimen, are often the first steps in treating intermittent claudication.

Some more serious cases require medications, and if medications don't seem to help you, you will have to undergo surgery, probably angioplasty or vascular surgery.

Hey Alan,

Like Stradivarius told you, you need to try it with exercises first, if that fails, you try with medications, if that doesn't work either, then you have to undergo surgery, it is as it is.

The worst case that could happen is that you have to have limb amputation. These cases are very rare and I don't know if there was any use of writing it here, but it happens, so it is better that you know. Maybe it will make you put some more effort in treating this. Other than that, you are not in any life danger.

You need to give it a try with exercise, Alan. I understand that it can be painful but you have to try it. If the pain gets unbearable, just make a pause then, but don't give up. Like they told you already, the first step towards treating this is stopping to smoke and exercising regularly, these two things are very effective at treating intermittent claudication.

Adria didn't tell you that only to scare you, I know of a case where a person had to have her limb amputation because she didn't do anything in order to treat her condition, that's how bad it can get.

Hey guys,

Well, now that you all said it like that, I guess I'll continue with my exercises no matter what. I'm not much of a smoker anyway, I maybe light one cigarette a day and that's it, I'm going to stop doing that as well.

I hope I won't have to take any medications or go to a surgery, I'll even exercise more frequently and longer since before in order to treat this thing. Does anyone know how much time would it need for me to treat this? I'm only afraid that the pain will become unbearable at some point and that I won't be able to continue exercising.

Hello there.

Oh my God it is extremely painful and a lot of people just can’t handle this pain. That is the reason why some of them are just giving up on this therapy. I remember when my cousin Jack had this therapy, he told me that it hurts like a hell.

But he didn’t give up on it because he was aware of one thing – he can harm his health if he quits this therapy. So, my advice is to try it.   It is worth because it is very effective and it can help you a lot. Have a nice day.

Hello everyone. Let me tell you how I felt when I started this therapy for intermittent claudiation in peripheral artery disease. I felt awful. I just can't describe you this pain and this really uncomfortable feeling. But I knew it that I just can't give up because I can make it only worse. So I have decide to continue with it. My point is that it doesn't matter how hard it is and how hard it can be - it will pass. The only thing that you need to think about is your health. So, if you are in pain remember that this will just go away. Good luck and be strong!

Good day friends.
As far as I know this therapy is very expensive but it is helpful and it is really good. Of course, you can feel some nauseous in the beginning of it and pain is something that is present during whole therapy. But I remember that my friend was telling me that crucial in this therapy are exercises.
The exercise session begins with treadmill exercise at a speed and grade that induce claudication within 3 to 5 minutes. The patient is instructed to stop walking and rest when his or her claudication pain reaches a moderate level. Also, you need to know that you will have to cycle as well. This cycle of exercise and rest is repeated for at least 30 minutes in the first few sessions of the program.
Good luck.

Hey everyone.

Look, you don't have to be afraid that anything is going to happen to you. True, it is a little bit difficult therapy but it is nothing THAT dangerous and I really don't know why you guys are trying to scare Alan. (Not all of you, but reading some of your comments that this is painful - I got scared as well.). No need for it. It is uncomfortable like any other way of the therapy but it is effective and it can help you. That is all that you need to think about. Good luck, everything is going to be ok.