Hi everyone,

I heard from a few people that fasting can help in the treatment of depression or anxiety. I am a bit sceptical about this to be honest, I just don't know how could this be able to help, if you ask me, this can only make things even worse.

However, since it is not just one person who told me this, maybe there is more to this than I think of it to be. I was wondering if anyone here has some thoughts about this, what do the people here think, does fasting or intermittent fasting help depression or anxiety?

Hi Guest,

I know that it can sound weird, but fasting can indeed help with depression and anxiety. There were some studies conducted in order to determine if fasting can help depression and anxiety and the findings showed that a FCR [fasting and caloric restriction] dietary regime is effective in improving mood states and nutritional status among aging people. 

However, there was another study which suggests that one or two day food restrictions worsen mood. Since these two are contradicting, I'm guessing that these depend of a person, for some people this can help, for some it just makes things worse.

I did a little research about this when my sister had trouble with her depression and I really hit the wall here. The experience that people had and the researches were all different, some of the people said that this helped them, while others said that it made their condition worse. When it came to researches, just like Gaia wrote, some of them concluded that this can help treat depression, while others ended with a conclusion that it will just make your condition worse.

If you decide to try this, you need to understand that it can do you harm and if you notice that it is doing you harm, you need to stop fasting.

There you go, I knew that this doesn't necessarily has to be a good thing!

I am not asking this because I am suffering from depression, but my good friend is so I wanted to help him out somehow. Well, if it was my call, I wouldn't try to treat depression with fasting, but since it is his call, I'm going to tell him exactly what you guys wrote here and what I think about it so that he can decide for himself. Thank you very much for you help.

If anyone happens to have any additional info regarding this, please share it with me, I would appreciate it.

Hey there.

Even if this sounds very good, I am not sure that intermittent fasting was helpful to anyone. Of course that is always a good idea to start taking care of what you are eating, and this can be helpful to you for sure, but you can expect that this can help you deal your depression or your anxiety attacks. 

I wanted to try it but I didn't because my friend told me that this can only take my time, which of course I don't have. So I think that you should seek for another options to treat it. 

Look there everyone. It depends from person to person. But some research has shown that intermittent fasting can actually help in changing persons mood. It can make it much better. You can find a lot of research, a lot of posts and facts on the internet about that. So, I believe that everyone should start with healthy way of life and I am sure that this can help you fight any problem. But of course, when you are dealing with something such as depression or anxiety, you should definitely contact your doctor to see what else can help you, because intermittent fasting alone can't help you..

Hey there. Well, you can't be that skeptical. For example, I am aware that there are a lot of people who have tried it and they say that this didn't work for them. But I have one really good friend who convinced me that intermittent fasting was really helpful for her and that this way of life actually helped in treating the depression. So, I can't really tell you what you should do, but I think that you should not give up without trying something like this. So, try it and tell us what is going on. Good luck.

I don't think that this is the right cure for you, dear Guest, I believe that intermittent fasting can only help you in dealing your weight problems but not your depression or anxiety. Of course, like you could read - you can try, but I am sure that there are so many helpful things that can help you in dealing this. And I am almost sure that intermittent fasting is not right for you. Depression is more serious problem than someone can even imagine, and if you for example combine exercises, medicines and intermittent fasting,I am sure that this can help you. 

I have fasted for 8 days so far and mental effects seem obvious. I suppose you can call this calmness as it feels like you don't care anything anymore that much. It can be seen even in physical level. For example, I try to do "finger motorics" (trying to form different kind of shapes with your fingers) there's not much tremor when you try to do movements that you are not able to do. Normally there's tremor in fingers if you try to put then in positions where they don't want to go so you try to force it. Now it is more efficient to put then in various kinds of positions, there's no tremor so you calmly and slowly to force them in new positions and it works pretty well! I would be quite surprised if there was no effect on depression.