Hello, folks. My friend has severe problem with walking. After almost 15 minutes of walking, he must stop to relax in order to continue walking. He feels severe pain in his legs when walking. His doctor says that this condition is known as intermittent claudication. How does this occur? I would appreciate all your replies.

Hello. Intermittent claudication is caused by narrowing of the arteries in the legs. This narrowing is usually caused by atherosclerosis. In that way the blood flow for leg muscles is significantly decreased. When a higher concentration of oxygen for these muscles is needed, then the symptoms appear. Usually, this happens with exercising or even walking. The main symptom is pain in the legs. A person must stop to relax. After a break, one can continue walking, but only for next 15-20 minutes when new pain appears. I hope this helps.