Hi everyone,

Me and my friend are both playing soccer, although my friend is a bit better than I am (I can admit it to you, but I won't really admit it to him). Anyway, a few days ago he was in pain while we were exercising, he went to a hospital because it wasn't the first time that it happened and there he was diagnosed with intermittent claudication. I didn't have time to ask him more about this matter and I don't want to ask him, I was hoping that I'll figure it out myself without bothering him. So I want to ask you what this is and what are the treatment options for it?

Hey Guest,

Claudication is pain caused by too little blood flow, usually during exercise. Sometimes called intermittent claudication, this condition generally affects the blood vessels in the legs, but claudication can affect the arms, too.

Although it's sometimes considered a disease, claudication is technically a symptom of a disease. Most often, claudication is a symptom of peripheral artery disease, a potentially serious but treatable circulation problem in which the vessels that supply blood flow to your legs or arms are narrowed. Fortunately, with treatment, the person who has this intermittent claudication may be able to maintain an active lifestyle without pain.

Hey Bee,

So you are saying that this isn't so dangerous, right? My friend really has a bright future when it comes to football and I really hope that he is going to be okay and that this won't get in his way of maybe making a career in football.

I didn't see him at practice for two times in a row now, I called to hear how is he doing but he told me that he is okay and that he will come to training session soon. 

You said that this is treatable and that it shouldn't really be a problem then, can you tell me about the treatment options here?

Yes, I don't think that he is going to have much trouble with this, he should be able to pursuit his football dream.

Medications are usually the first treatment option, the good thing is that your friend is already into exercising since he is a footballer because it is important for a person to exercise on a daily basis.

For people whose condition is a bit more severe and who can't really be treated with medications, there are two possible surgeries that can be done, one of them is angioplasty and the other one is vascular surgery. Hopefully, your friend won't have to do neither one.

Hello.

Claudication is actually a pain that is caused by too little blood flow, usually during exercise. If you exercise, that is an answer to your questions. Also, it is sometimes called intermittent claudication. When we are talking about this, this condition generally affects the blood vessels in the legs, but claudication can affect the arms as well.  At the beginning, you will probably notice the pain only when you're exercising, but as claudication worsens, the pain may affect you even when you're at rest.  Now when you do know what are the best ways of the treatment, you need to find one that fits to you. In case if you let this disease untreated, claudication and peripheral artery disease can reduce the quality of your life and lead to potentially life-threatening complications.

Hello there. I am diagnosed with intermittent claudication as well. Claudication is not usually limb threatening and it is not necessary to treat it if the symptoms are mild or of course if there are no symptoms. When it comes to this diagnose, claudication often remains stable, with no deterioration in walking distance over long periods. Less than one in ten patients will notice any reduction in walking distance during their lifetime – that is according to statistics. However if your symptoms worsen, there are treatments available which you can discuss with your vascular surgeon. My symptoms are the same, mild as in the begging. My doctor just recommended me to stop smoking and to exercise more.

Exactly. I found those information on the sites on the internet as well. But I am really afraid that he won't be able to continue his soccer career just like somebody already wrote in here. This issue is really dangerous and it requires a treatment, a big, big treatment. And it should be controlled all the time. I also do believe that it is nothing that dangerous in his case, but he should be treated definitely and I believe that the medications are the first option. Good luck there. I really hope that he is going to be ok.

I am sure that my colleague from the work was dealing with intermittent claudication. He is still dealing with it. When he was telling this to us, I was consider that claudication is a disease, but it is not. It is technically a symptom of a disease. Most often, claudication is a symptom of peripheral artery disease, a potentially serious but treatable circulation problem in which the vessels that supply blood flow to your legs or arms are narrowed. Thanks God, with treatment, you may be able to maintain an active lifestyle without any kind of pain that can bother you.