Hello, folks. My kid had some changes on his skin that surrounds his mouth. We took him to the doctor and he was diagnosed with impetigo. I would really like to know how this kind of skin infection is treated most efficiently. I would appreciate all your replies in advance. Thanks.

Hello, there. You shouldn’t be worried. Impetigo is indeed skin infection that is caused by two types of bacteria. It is mostly caused by Staphylococcus aureus. However, it can also be caused by Streptococcus pyogenes. Since the children’s immune system is still developing, they are more prone to this infection. These bacteria can even cause impetigo on perfectly healthy skin. This is not the case with the adults. You should consult a dermatologist for more details about the treatment. You won’t treat it on your own. I hope this helps.

Hello. I think that hygienic measures must be taken. The main reason for spreading of impetigo is direct contact with the diseased person. Minor cases with impetigo can be only treated with hygienic measures. Don’t be surprised if your son’s doctor only recommends this. It will mean that your son has a mild form of the disease. It will depend on the type of impetigo. Severity of the infection will also determine the course of the treatment. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Hello, everyone. I agree with all that is said here. However, I think that topical antibiotics should also be prescribed. They are put on the sores. It is usually mupirocin ointment. Before putting it, any kind of the scab should be removed. If the impetigo is serious or it is widespread, then oral antibiotics should also be prescribed. Even when sores disappear, one should take the whole box of antibiotic. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck!