Hello, please help me. I need to know what to do with my cat. She has about 6 years ( I can’t be sure since I adopted her). I noticed that her leg is swollen two days ago. It was her front leg and it was barely noticeable. I hoped it will pass shortly, but it didn’t. Like I said, it’s been two days now and her leg is still swollen, except now it’s very noticeable ad I don’t know what to do. I don’t have the money to take her to the vet right now. Can you tell me what would be the right treatment for swollen front leg in a senior cat?

Hi there,

Rubylock, you’re saying that it’s not just the paw that is swollen, but it’s the entire leg?

If the cat is senior or younger doesn’t matter in this case, it’s all the same. I wouldn’t know how to treat it unless you find out what caused it.

It could all be starting from the paw. If she has a sting or a foreign object stuck between her toes without you noticing, she could have gotten an infection in the meantime which spread through her front leg making it all swollen.

In this particular case, you will need some antibiotics and her leg will have to be examined and cleaned.

Hello. You need to find money and take her to the vet. Maybe it is nothing serious since you saw that her leg is swollen in front and not whole leg. But just to be sure what you two are dealing with, vet is the best option. There are a couple of treatments but usually they involve medications. Is she in pain? Does she let you to touch this area? Those are the signs that you need to observe. Maybe it is broken bone or maybe bug bite but you cannot be sure if you don’t visit the vet.  All that you can do in this moment is to clean her leg.

Good day all. 

Like Dog Whisperer told you, you should visit the vet. My cousin’s cat had similar situation. He wasn’t thinking that this is something that he should be worried about. She will be better – he was saying all the time. I saw that this cat is in pain. After almost a month she couldn’t walk properly. 

Guess what? She broke her bone. Not completely, just a little bit. But sill it was broken. There were so much complications about this – x ray, cat in pain, hospitalization, medications, etc. 

That was really irresponsible and she was the only one who was suffering.

Hey.

Finally something that I have experience with lol :) I am not proud of it but at least I can help you :) I mean I hope so.

Your cat was probably bitten or clawed. The swelling on your cat’s leg is form of one wound and it may be ascending, which I hope that is not because if it is – it can get just worse. It can continue to swell.

So it can’t be nothing, it can be just a simple reaction but as I already told you it can become worse.

You need to find the way to visit the vet.

I am not blaming you, I know the feeling when you don’t have money. But if you want to treat your cat right, you will need money.

Hey friends.

It depends. Is your cat in pain or not?

I want to know this because my mom had situation with her cat also. It happened last year. She could see that she jumped at some sharp rock and that she hurts her leg. Her leg was swollen as well. For a few days.

But when she was touching her leg she didn’t appear to be in pain. At all.

She was jumping, playing like nothing happened. No reaction at all.

My mom was no able to find the wound at all, her cat’s leg was not broken.

The swelling completely gone after 5 days.

She was putting cold coverings on her leg.

Hey everyone,

I think that you need to know the cause first, too. And you need to check if your cat is in pain, if her leg hurts. If it does, it’s probably a fracture, she could have broken her bone and you need to take her to the vet. If she is not in pain, you should examine her leg for any signs of bites or similar, try to search for any stings or foreign objects and if found, try to remove it. In case none of this works, no bite wounds, no stings, no fractures, try to put her leg in Epsom salts for 15 minutes. If nothing happens again, it might be an infection which can get nasty so I would suggest visiting a vet, too.

Hey guys,
This doesn’t have to be anything serious, but it can. I’ll agree that you must know the cause of her swollen leg, I don’t see how else would you know the proper way of treating it. Take a look at the non-dangerous causes: a bite from a spider or a foreign object stuck somewhere. Treating goes easy, remove the object and clean the wound and then, use the Epsom salts. One of the dangerous causes would include a tumor. In this case, the vet will tell you what would be the best option for you, although in most of the cases, the tumor that affected only one dog’s leg, is usually removed by amputating it.

Hey everyone,
Oh Dear Ruby, you need to find some money and take her to the vet. Vets should be people with big hearts so if you tell them your situation, they might even give you a discount. This could mean that your cat has a tumor. It’s not a 100% thing, of course, but it could mean this so you need to get it checked. What you can do yourself is check her paw for any foreign objects, spider or any insect bites. Clean any wounds that you find and remove any objects. Put Epsom salts in warm water and hold her leg in it for about 10 to 15 minutes. That’s all you can do about it, but seriously, you have to consider your vet.