I have always heard that women like men to be shaved, or at least trimmed, down there. I had done it once or twice in the past and hated it cuz it gets all itchy when the hair grows back. But I figured what the hell, try it again. So about a month ago I got squeaky clean. Then a small, red, pimple/bump formed on the base of my penis. Then another on the other side, and a couple more on my scrotum. I noticed that this type of hair takes a lot longer to grow back than facial hair. They are painless and soft to the touch. Examining it more closely, I found that I can see what appears to be a hair follicle at the top of them. I want to believe it is an infected hair follicle, or in-grown hair perhaps. Maybe my razor wasn't clean? I don't know, but I would like to know if this is normal, or if i should be concerned, and what I can do to get rid of it. My annual STD screen last month came back clear. So while I have little concern that it may be one, I would like to put my mind to rest.

Thanks.

I will put your mind at rest at once. Ingrown hairs are so common down there in both males and females. Yes, it is true that hairs down there grow slowly.

I always have troubles with ingrown hairs. It makes no difference that I am a girl, it is the same. I usually poke them although I know it’s bad. Sometimes they just get inflamed after poking and squeezing, they swell and become big and red and I can’t find a hair then but it is stronger than me. A greater power that draws me to squeeze it. 

It could be due to your razor. I always use the cheapest and the sharpest, which is the biggest mistake. This is because I don’t shave often, I usually wax but I get ingrown hairs from vaxing as well.

Have you tried touching and squeezing yours? What are they like now?

If I am smart enough, I just leave them alone. Sometimes if they are visible, I take pincers and take the hairs out with it. If they’re too ingrown, it helps sometimes to mix cauliflower and milk, and make a mass and then apply it to the inflamed skin area. It is supposed to be rubbed on the area. I actually do this on all whole body because it gets rid of old cells, makes skin soft and often helps hairs get out on the surface, so that I can remove them with pincers.

Thanks for the reply,

I do not touch, pinch, squeeze, or even look at them. I think they're more psychologically disturbing than anything! I've been applying Neosporin and corticosteroid cream on them, which seem to have a very slow effect--there hasn't been much of a change, but it removes any and all minor irritation. I tried applying alcohol once, but that stung so didn't do that again. But when I get goosebumps and my scrotum contracts, it's damn irritating! Not pain necessarily, but a reminder that they're there! Can you relate?

If I remember right, I believe I've had this in the past. I think they just go away with time right? When I shave my face and neck, I ALWAYS break out into small itchy pimples. Not ingrown hairs necessarily, but razor irritation. Because my neck is exposed to oxygen which may help in the healing process, while my groin is not, think it may be a reason while they seem to last longer?

Thanks again.

Yes, of course I mind them being there especially when they get so big and red and I have to get naked and show this area to my boyfriend. That is the most frustrating to me. Luckily, he is not disgusted but pretty open to zits-pimple issues. However, that doesn’t make me any less uncomfortable.

You are so right about the groin area being closed. I don’t think that this warm and moist area benefit them at all. I have also noticed that nothing works from creams I put on. I tried clindamicin, which usually dries my face pimples and also hydrocortisone but no benefits…as if they have the will on their own…..they disappear when they want.

Do you see a way out?

Today I got noticed a couple more. I got so distressed I went to the doctor right after work.

One look at them and he knew exactly what it was -- Folliculitis -- infection of a hair follicle. I asked how could they spread like this, I shower every morning? He said the infection can spread from one hair follicle to the next at any time, which is why it's important to have treatment. It can even spread from the genitals to the thighs, which is another symptom of mine. (I shaved some of that too). Unclean razors, sweating, dirty underwear, even touching something dirty and then touching your penis can infect it. It's like the flu of gonads! Masturbation can spread the infection as well - if you have the bacteria on your hands, you are obviously spreading it all over your penis (in my case anyway)

Thus he prescribed me antibiotics. Corticosteroids reduce inflammation, but do not stand a chance against infection. He reminded me I must be very careful when shaving that area, and to be honest this might be the last time! Neosporin is a good topical antibiotic, but probably would have to cover everything just for it to be effective! Benadryl or Cortizone can reduce the itch and irritation, and washing daily with antibacterial soap will keep the infection from spreading any further.

Do you think that this happens to both males and females?
If you were prescribed antibiotics, it must mean that there is an infection or something….but how do they go away on its own then….at least in my case.

My little pimple never spread to groins but they do itch sometimes.

It is very good to know that there is a medical term for this. Thank you for the info!

Did you understand what he meant by “be very careful when shaving that area”???
Does it mean to use a better razor or watch out for the cuts, or is there anything else to it.
I read somewhere that it is better if you sheave your hair in the direction they grow because hairs don’t become sop sharp and are less likely to get inflamed. I tried shaving like that but I couldn’t get rid of all hairs like that.

What antibiotic did he prescribed to you and how long you need to take it?

Thanx again for all the info you provided

Lori

I think he meant to make sure I have a clean razor, take my time and keep it "maintained" so to speak by washing thoroughly and keeping it clean. Basically not to do the 5-minute shave like all us guys do with our facial hair.

Yes, it is an infection, which, by defintion, means bacteria has gotten in somewhere it's not supposed to be. I read up on it this weekend and found more interesting information.

The hair follicles can become infected and spread to others surrounding it. Ususally it goes away on its own after a few days to a week, but more serious infections require treatment. My doctor prescribed me Erythromycin oral anti-biotic for 10 days.

I found out that the infection in the hair follicle can spread to other parts of the body even without direct touch, and is contagious. Thus I have to seperate all my towels from my family's. Cases like mine are have a prognosis of 2-3 weeks if I do everything right.

This may sound extreme, but I have begun wiping down my groin and inner thighs with hydrogen peroxide twice a day. I know I can count on that removing any bacteria that may persist! After that I wash with an anti-bacterial soap.

In your case, I would pamper the area and be concious of it when the mood is right, if you know what I mean, with your man and keep a close on it as it heals. Avoid touching it, and then touching other parts of your body. Use neosporin or bacitracin to keep the infection localized and, if necessary, go to your doctor to get anti-biotics.

I usally just leave them alone, but they itch so bad. What I do is use any acne medication, that really works with me, I usally use ProActive, It seems to work and they disappear quickly.

I have the same issue with ingrown hairs down there usually by the underside of the male member and scrotum. I had a bump that got pretty big and I was very curious and a bit freaked out. After inspection of the bump I noticed there was a hair wound up inside. This may sound wierd but the skin is a bit transparent and with the use of a flashlight up against the skin you can see a hair under the skin. When I found out it was a hair I sterilized a small needle and worked the bump until I was able to get underneath the hair and slowly pull it out. The hair was growing for a while under the surface. When removed the hair was about an inch long. The bump and redness went away shortly after - maybe a couple days. The pain was also gone.

I don't have the issues you speak of, however I've had folliculitis on my neck. The constant rubbing from shirts stiff from dry cleaning, sweating etc...

My Doctor recommended a topical cream from Leo Pharm. (note anything OTC will not be strong enough to help you. Its a waste of money.)

Stay away from cortisone or steroids. Bad stuff unless you have no choice.

1. Fucidin 2% cream. (fusidic acid 2%). Don't let the acid scare you, its just acidic versus base. This stuff is amazing. Its a great antibiotic cream that will literally cure most skin infections quickly. Fucidin is an antibiotic applied to the skin for the treatment of various skin infections caused by certain kinds of bacteria.

Wash the area, use a good acne soap like Phisoderm Stay away from using alcohol or peroxide, this will only irritate and dry the skin.

i shave and have been doing so for a while. uhmm embarassinly im not sexualy active .....but i have a larger than usual bump on my groin area and it has been there for several months it at first pop like a zit but would then return eventualy it stoped doing this and now i finaly worked three hairs out of it and the bump has remined but its only been three days. but im worried at this point its permanet what should i do?

Neosporin seems to help!!