Hi, on my latest medical examination my cortisol level was elevated. My doctor said that the reason for that is probably my stressful job. I gained about 20 kilograms in a few months. I need some more information on elevated cortisol.

In modern world, this is very common problem. Life style is fast, jobs are stressful, we don`t have time to exercise enough. Cortisol is a hormone which is very important in our body, and it`s primary function is protein breakdown and lipolysis. Elevated cortisol causes muscle breakdown and storing fat. Chronic elevated cortisol can damage our health and performance. Elevated cortisol causes mood change, lack of motivation. Disease, poor diet and overtraining can also cause elevated cortisol. The first thing you should do to get cortisol levels back to normal is rest. Also your carb intake shouldn’t be decreased. Consider taking vitamin supplements.