I am wanting to bulk up and add some muscle with my working out, I think I can if I had a weight gain supplement that has lots of proteing.  What supplements would you recommend for an 18 year old type 1 diabetic?  I work out on free weights and bike 10 miles a day, if that helps. 

Hello, Guest!  Kudos to you that you want to define your body and become stronger.  It sounds like you want to find a supplement that will not adversely affect your blood sugars.  You gain achieve this goal if you eat the right foods.  If you are adamant you want to use weight gain supplements, you should use supplements that are not high in carbohydrates.  It is important to eat above your maintenance level to gain weight and muscle mass. This will entail finding supplements that contain mostly protein, such as whey protein, soy, or egg.  Foods such as lean meat and be used to add more protein to your diet.  You may alter your carb intake by increasing it to prevent hypoglycemia.  With being on insulin therapy, you will need to take care of watching for high blood sugars.  If you have been exercising on free weights and biking 10 miles a day, you already know how much carbohydrate you need to avoid hypoglycemic episodes.  You have to make sure you eat an excess of calories to gain the muscle you wish to add.  Good luck with your weight gain goal.

Are there any diabetic patients that have information about gaining muscle and working out?  How did you successfully gain weight and bulk up?  What type of diet do you follow and what do you think worked the best to attain your goal? Did you have any problems with hypoglycemia while exercising and training on weights?

Hi, i am a type 1 diabetic for 18years now since i was 5, 4 shots a day, novarapid and humalog. i have been body building since 16, the right diet gives your optimal performance and results. i upped my dosages because of my food intake, i only eat tuna, pastas, lean beef and chicken, egg whites, etc, very high protein food. i do have a protein supplement called LifeGain, its not much but its good boost after a big meal. i usually add a banana and 3 eggs into that shake. i gained 12kgs within 4 months, it took a while because i have a high metabolism. But my advice is that you must stay focused and determined. i am, however, still looking for a higher performance protein shake or supplement, if anyone can help... :)

New Member

I'd recommend eating more meat, especially red meat. Protein supplements contain, well, protein, but some are also high in short-chain carbs - not the best news for a diabetic person. And there's more to building tissue than protein: meat is rich in fats, vitamins and minerals, and nutrients like choline that contribute to the production and maintenance of healthy tissue. The better you can control your diabetes the better your training results will be: probably the most anabolic hormone in the human body is insulin, so the more you have or the more sensitive to insulin you are the better. Increasing insulin sensitivity can be done like this:
1: eat more fat and less carbs
2: do more 'non-exercise' exercise like walking. Aim to be physically active at a low level for a couple of hours a day. Seriously, this can boost insulin sensitivity massively, and increased insulin sensitivity means more and healthier lean mass gain.

Give me a yell on here and I'll talk you through some training and diet protocols, but don't think too much about magic potions and shakes - they can help a bit but they're not necessary, and eating another small meal a day will probably give you better results.

How can I gain weight