My sister told me The Prism Diet is a faith-based low carbohydrate diet similar to the Atkins Diet. She wants to lose weight since she was 16 and now she found this diet somewhere and wants to try it. Its main objective is to eliminate sugar and drastically reduce carbohydrate intake, which sounds scary to me. Low carbohydrate diets are generally effective in the short-term, that’s why I am worried about her. Tell me something more about Prism Diet, should I take her of her, or it is confirmed by doctors as good one?

Low carb plans such as Prism Diet has, aroused an irrational fear about the hormone insulin. Insulin, like other hormones in the body, has many vital functions for our organism. One function is to enable our cells to take up glucose from the bloodstream and use it for energy boost. This gives us the ability to do everything from lifting a finger to recalling memories, to running a marathon and jump all day. Insulin has become unpopular, due to the fact that it helps the body store fat. Because of this fat storing function, low carb plans of Prism Diet, have condemned insulin to eternal damnation. Unfortunately, it's a much undeserved reputation based on false and twisted truths. One false theory is how only carbohydrate in the diet will stimulate insulin production. The truth is that all ingested foods stimulate insulin production, no matter what we eat. The second false theory is that insulin stores fat only when we eat high carb foods. The bottom line with regard to the body's biochemistry is that fat will only be stored if too much food, from any source is eaten. That is her choice if she will start with this or any other diet, but she needs to be careful to stay health, because that is what’s the most important.

The Prism weightloss plan is definitely not a low carb plan and it is not a high protein diet. I have been on the plan for several weeks and have lost over 12 pounds. It hasn't been easy but it is worth it. You avoid sugar, bread, pasta and potatoes in the first phase but eat lots of veggies and fruit and also some protein in the form of dairy, beans and meat. It is a very complete program. I didn't join group but am doing the home study course. I would recommend it very highly if you are serious about changing habits and losing weight

I went on the Prism Diet this time last year and lost sixty pounds and I have successfully kept the weight off. This diet allows you to eat a lot more than the Atkins Diet and is more about counting calories than cutting carbs. I would highly recommend this diet.

I have never heard of the prism diet. But I do know that "low carb" is not what is effective. What is effective is low or no sugar, meaning no white starches is best. She can have carbs that are not man made. She can have all the brown rice and beans she wants, fruits and nuts etc. And if she is exercising daily too, then this will be a very effective weight loss. You two should buy that book that helped Oprah Winfrey by Green. He is a great trainer.
Atkins diet will hurt your kidneys because it forces your body to process too many proteins, meat etc. that is not natural.

Good luck,
In God we trust.
Eve

I would like to know more about this diet *****Thank You

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I have used this diet before, and have found it very helpful. The perception is that this is a low/no carb and no-sugar diet, which is not accurate.

The diet is surmised of several phases, each week being 6 weeks long. The purpose of these phases is to take control of the food we put into our body and to learn and train ourselves in the principals of moderation and balance. Have you ever noticed how our body reacts to water? The more water we drink the more we need? Our body reacts in the same way to refined sugar and carbs.

The purpose of Prism is to limit carbs and eliminate refined sugars (unrefined sweeteners are allowed eg honey) to cleanse our system and palates. With this being done, when they are re-introduced to our systems, slowly, a little more with each phase, we are able to be balanced with our choices and portions. We are able to follow the food guidelines followed in the pyramid, making sure we get enough of all the nutrients we need including carbohydrates, protein, vegetables/fruits etc.

Additionally, weighing, measuring and counting calories lets us accurately see how much we are actually putting into our body. For example, many meals found out restaurants have more calories in that one dish than what we need for the entire day.

The only thing I would recommend is to consult your doctor before for their professional view of how many calories you should consume per day for weight loss. If you consume too few calories, your body could potentially start consuming your vital organs. You want the calorie-count that is right for you. Always consult your personal physician before starting any diet or weight loss plan.

I have been on every diet there is and this is finally the last weight loss plan I will ever need. You get plenty of good carbs and a wide variety of food is allowed. Eliminating sugar and SPLENDA are required. No breads, potatoes, crackers, pasta, puddings, gravies and white flour products are allowed in the first phase(comfort foods). Once I rid my body of sugar the cravings were gone and I have not had any problems staying true to the plan. In 7 weeks I have lost 14 pounds and a lot of inches. I highly recommend finding or starting a group of your own.

Prism is a program that lasts about a year, When I started I weighed 226 pounds. I tried everything from Jenny to Weight Watchers, my own plans and other people's too. To call it a low/no carb diet would be completely inacurate. In the first phase (each phase is 6weeks long) you do cut out all breads, pastas, sugars and potatoes. However, starting in phase 2 you gain things back but in their natural form. For example in phase one you can have naturally occuring sugars and alternative sugars such as splenda or sweetnlow. In Phase 3 you loose alternative sugars altogether though. In Phase 2 you are allowed Sugar free frozen snacks, corn tortillas, and 100% whole grain or wheat bread. Thought the corse you learn the difference between good and bad flour's (enriched and refined are bad only real grains and wheat are good), you also learn a lot through the videos that go with the weekly meetings. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a perminate lifestyle that will help you to loose weight and keep it off...I am currently in Phase 3 and now weigh 186 that is 45 pounds in 18 weeks!!!! Another HUGE part of this program is counting calories. You are limited to how many calories you can have in a day and must count the calories for EVERYTHING you eat and drink. Also having a minimum of 8 glasses of water is required. Phase 1 is by far the hardest, because your body is going through detox...it really is like coming off of drugs...your body is so use to all the junk that it goes though withdraws!

Hi, I have been reading all your replies and it sounds like a great diet for me as a christian. I cannot afford the books as I am living on disability. I truly could use the help if anyone can tell me more about the program, or has the books for me to loan, I am in Washington state. Thanks!

I would suggest going to the library. I found one at my local library.

I was on the Prism diet two years ago. I was nineteen years old at the time and had been overweight nearly all of my life. In three months I lost thirty pounds. I felt energized, happy and I had a wonderful support system with my prism group. It is done in four phases. In the first phase which is six weeks long. During this phase, you cut out all bread, flour, sugar, noodles, and potatoes. You can basically have veggies, meat, and fresh fruit. Also, you can have any other stuff (not containing flour or fried) that has sugar as the 5th or lower ingredient in the ingredient list. In each phase you get something back in moderation. By the end, your white flour products are obsolete and you are using wheat products. I stopped the after a year and kept the weight off (until I moved and went back into my old awful eating habits). The first two weeks may be rough getting rid of sodas and sugar, but it is well worth it.

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

i would like to know more about prism, im on it right now (phase 1) and idk much about phase 2, 3, or 4. i dont have the book

The Prism Program is no longer available. .This really is a well-balanced program that addresses the physical, mental, and emotional aspects of our eating habits.  Unfortunately, the the company has closed after 22 years in business You might fight the books on Amazon or eBay although I don't see much available right now. Good luck and God Bless.

I do not have the book but I am curious if you can have protein shakes or not. I just purchased the body by vi shakes.