• Hi, I am 21 years old. I have arthritis in both of my knees (I had crooked knee caps, had 4 surgeries, (which did nothing) and now my knees are not crooked but in the same 'bad shape' that they were previously in.), Bursitis in my right shoulder, Scoliosis, and I am 5'9" and weight 175 lb.'s.
  • I want to lose a few pounds and get back in shape, (because with scoliosis, my stomach sticks out more than it should), but it's very hard to do with all of these problems combined. I can barely go up a few steps without it hurting. I know everyone says to exercise and workout, but where and how do I start?
  • I don't need to just jump straight in and run, lift weights, and etc., because that causes me to hurt even more. Then I lose all motivation because I don't want so 'much' pain.
  • Is there someone else going through what I am and/or knows a good way to start? I may be a student at college still, but if I just know how and what I can do to start, then I can get myself going at (hopefully) a good pace that even I can do.
  • Should I strengthen the main problem areas first, or what should/can I do?
  • (Sorry for the overload of questions...)
  • Thanks!,
  • -Tara-

Celebrity

Hey Tara.

What about swimming? Swimming is usually the least demanding on bones and joints.

Of course, regarding weight loss - physical activity is just one (smaller) part of the big picture - nutrition has the biggest impact. As many veggies as possible, proteins (fish, lean meat, chia seeds, beans), reduce intake of white carbs (white bread, white pasta) and it is generally advisable to reduce carb intake since we  consume it too much in our typical diets. Water also has a huge impact - replace all juices, soft drinks etc. with water. And if you drink coffee or try try to minimize sugar intake or replace with stevia. let me know if you need any other info. I love talking about healthier options in nutrition ...

We actually have a pool, but have to clean it out and get it going. I definitely love swimming, hopefully that will help out. :) Thanks!

Celebrity

Excellent! The timing is right :)