I am concerned about my father. He has drinking problems. He is not a bad person, even when he drinks he is only more cheerful. But it is bad for his health. Finally my mum and I manage to persuade him to go to the doctor. Doctor has ordered some tests. One of them is GGT. The results show elevated GGT. Can you tell me what this test shows and what elevated GGT means?

GGT is common test that is used to detect liver and bile duct injury. It is especially done to persons with history of alcohol abuse. That is why his doctor has ordered this test. The elevated GGT shows that something is wrong with his liver but it doesn’t show exactly what. You didn’t say how high it is but the higher it is the bigger problem is. But if he was drinking before the test then the results are not valid.