Hi, I am 25 years old and I have some health issues. I was feeling some troubles last month like abdominal pain, fatigue and lack of energy. I am very active person and it is not characteristic for me. I went to doctor and after the blood test he has told me that I have elevated bilirubin and iron. He has done some more tests and he told me that I have hemachromatosis. What is the connection between elevated bilirubin and hemachromatosis?

It is not so good that you bilirubin is elevated in hemachromatosis. It is inherited disease. It means that your body absorbs and stores too much iron. The iron builds up in your organs such as heart or liver and makes the function of these organs hard. It can cause liver disease, enlarged liver, cirrhosis, cancer and liver failure. Elevated bilirubin shows that your condition is quite advanced.