Hi, my friend is 43 years old and he was active sportsman all his life. Last week he felt some irregularities in his heart rate so he decided to visit his doctor. After several analyses including ultra sound exam doctor told him his heart is enlarged. I would like to know something more about this and how is that possible when he was sportsman all his life.

Hi, first of all there are two types of enlarged heart: one is which your friend has and it is consequence of active life which he had. Such enlargement is not dangerous and it is based on hypertrophy of heart muscle. Irregular rhythm is not caused by hypertrophy. The other type of heart hypertrophy appears when heart do not have enough power to pump blood and that cardiac ventricles became distended. This type of heart enlargement leads to heart failure.