Hello. I brought another cat home. My husband is going to kill me, literally. I’ve found it in front of this building where my friend from work lives. I dropped by to give her some paperwork that needed to be done for tomorrow and when I left the building (I was heading towards my car) I’ve noticed there is something under my car that moves. She was lovely and also a bit scared so I took her. Tomorrow at work, my friend recognized the cat from the picture and she told me that that’s her neigbor’s cat. Apparently he abandoned her cause she has heart problems. I didn’t notice anything strange with the cat. Is it possible that she really has hearth problems? She doesn’t seem very young. What are the early signs of heart problems in older cats?

Hey there.

The worst thing that you can do is to leave your pet when she or he is sick. I am so mad at those people!

Sometimes, cat may show no signs and they act like they don’t have any problems, they act like they are normal. But, some early signs of this disease can be detectable during a clinical examination by your vet. So, this cat should be checked by vet at least once a year.

Some signs can be presence of a heart murmur, gallop rhythm, abnormal heart rates etc. Those are some early signs that can be a warning.  

Hey.

I really don’t understand how someone can leave pet just like this. I hate it.

A simple blood test can show you does a cat have some hearth issues if you are noticing some symptoms.

I think that symptoms are divided into categories.

I am not so surprised because this cat was diagnosed with hearth problems, because this is very common problem in older cats.

Some of the symptoms are loss of appetite, abnormal heart beats and sounds, hard breathing, very weak pulse, very bloated belly, lethargy, collapsing etc .

Some cats just don’t have any symptoms.

Good luck with this little one!

Hey Rubylock. The thing about heart problems in cats, whether or not it is an older cat, doesn’t matter, is that cats are good at masking their heart problems, so you rarely notice it in its early phase. That is because in some cats these problems progress very slowly, while in others it goes very fast. You cannot notice any symptoms in your cat by yourself, only your vet can do that while doing a clinical examination of your cat. The symptoms are the presence of a heart murmur, presence of the gallop rhythm or the gallop sound, abnormalities in heart rate and the presence of cardiac rhythm disturbances.

Hey everyone,

Those are the symptoms, the ones that Mima mentioned above. And it’s true that only your vet can notice the symptoms because he needs to listen to your cat’s heart with his stethoscope.

Heart murmur is an abnormal sound that the vet hears while listening to your cat’s heart. Now, the heart has two sounds that you hear with the stethoscope. Gallop sound, or the gallop rhythm is the third sound that appears in case that she has significant heart disease. 

Abnormalities in heart rate mean that the cat’s heart increases or decreases its rate outside the normal limits. Cardiac rhythm disturbances mean that her heart rhythm is rarely stable.

Hello. Sometimes symptoms of heart problems appears gradually. Look, some cats can miss symptoms and sometimes you can think that those are symptoms for some other diseases. That is why it is really important to keep an eye on your cat closely.  Symptoms can be: weakness, lethargy, difficulty in walking, coughing, loss of appetite, when your cat breathes heavy. You should also take a time to check your cat’s gums. If they are gray or purple, that can be sign of health problems. It is really hard to notice some early symptoms,   but I still know that you need to take a good care and you need to observe your cat.

It is possible that in the initial phase vet can see that the cat has heart problems and she looks and behaves normally. That’s actually pretty common.

That’s why treating cats with heart problems is not so successful, because it’s usually discovered too late.

Cats mask their symptoms way better than dogs.

Sometimes in the initial phase cats vomit. They tend to breathe rapidly, more rapidly than usual.

They’re often not able to walk properly on their hind legs.

Sometimes heart problems cause depression too.
Cats can’t eat much or they don’t eat at all. They lose weight… But weight gain can also be a sign.