Can somebody tell me something about enlarged heart in toddler? I am desperate for my 22 months old son is diagnosed with enlarged heart. I have decided to check his condition for it is been a while he has breathing problems especially after walk or run and this is also followed by arrhythmia and occasional swelling. Anyway the first reason I started to think there is something wrong with my toddler is breathing difficulties and after the doc suspected my toddler could be having enlarged heart after the physical exam he ordained a X-ray and his suspicion of enlarged heart in my toddler was reconfirmed. Anyway my son is scheduled for on further test tomorrow regarding his condition but I would still like to hear now what could be the best treatment for enlarged heart in a toddler? Thanks!

I suppose your son would be having some tests tomorrow in order to determine what is the underlying cause of an enlarged heart in your toddler for you know there are many causes of enlarged heart for example it could be due to severe anemia –at least it was the case with my toddler daughter 3 years ago for she also had enlarged heart caused by this anemia condition and once the anemia was treated it make her heart regain the normal size-don't ask me how I don't know! Anyway there are also many other causes of enlarged heart in a toddler and many of them are actually hereditary such as hypertension, heart valve disorders, cardiomyopathy- which means that the heart muscle has weakened but also it could be related to some thyroid disorders but also to excessive iron in blood as well as to abnormal protein build up in heart and that is why I suggest to try also with troponin test which measures troponin levels –that is a protein very common in all human muscles including heart muscle so if it is even slightly elevated it could be the sign of excessive protein build up which could also cause enlarged heart in your toddler. Anyway once the underlying cause of enlarged heart is determined the right treatment would be also prescribed.