Hi! I have been found to be infected with Epstein Barr virus and diagnosed mononucleosis. They gave me no treatment and said it would go away on its own. I feel terrible, I have fever, my neck glands are all swollen, I feel terrible, don’t feel like anything, etc. Then my friend came to visit me and she said that this virus may lead to chronic fatigue syndrome. I looked it on online and I am really freaking out. I am having exactly the same symptoms that people with chronic fatigue have. Is it possible that I have it? How do I diagnose it? Please, help!

It is true that Epstein Barr can lead to chronic fatigue but necessarily and the symptoms you are feeling are just typical mononucleosis symptoms. They usually last for 4 weeks and they go away on their own just like your doctor said. It is normal that you are feeling down, tired, lack energy, it is how mononucleosis work. Don’t worry, try to relax, rest a lot and everything will be ok. To diagnose chronic fatigue you need to go through the symptoms for more than 6 months, they need to run tonz of tests and remember that many people suffer from mononucleosis and recover without developing chronic fatigue.