Yesterday I saw my friend after three months. She had mono and her mother didn’t let anyone to see her. Well, she told us this is for our good because it is contagious. She told me that her liver was sick and that something called the Epstein-Barr, I am not sure if it is a virus or bacteria, caused. This sounds scary for me? What is Epstein-Barr? And what kind of disease it is mono?

The Epstein-Barr is a virus which causes number of diseases including mono. The Epstein-Barr virus infects and reproduces in the salivary glands. Her mother was right not letting you o see her because direct contact with virus-infected saliva, such as by kissing, can transmit the virus and cause mono. I have friend who had mono when we were in high school. I remember that she was exhausted. She had to rest all the time, she was weak, pale. Her liver was swollen. She was on a treatment for many weeks and I remember that she looked still ill when she came back in school.