How can I know that Azelex will be effective on African-American skin? I asked two dermatologists and nether had experience with dark skin. I used already Retin-A, but I am not satisfy with results. It caused peeling and discoloration of the skin. I am very disappointed.

Most any dermatologist ought to be able to help you. Treatment for dark skin does not differ much from treating other skin colors of course, they have to be careful and avoid irritation and pigment changes, which last longer on pigmented skin, and which make the success of treatment harder to assess. I only know that Azelex is a dicarboxylic acid with bacteriostatic and keratolytic properties. The 20% cream formulation is approved for acne and a 15% gel is indicated only for rosacea and it may be particularly effective in the treatment of postinflammatory hyperpigmentation or concomitant melasma.