I have a sister who has terrible problems with acne. She is so depressed because of this, so our mother decided she could visit a dermatologist. Last month her dermatologist decided to try Benzaclin to help with her problem. Now I am worried what side effects this medicine could cause. Can you tell me more about this medicine, as much as you can tell me I would appreciate?

Benzaclin as topical gel is indicated for the topical treatment of acne vulgaris. This medicine is contraindicated in those individuals who have hypersensitivity to any of components to linomycin. Beside this, Benzaclin is contraindicated in those who have history of regional enteritis, ulcerative colitis or antibiotic associated colitis. I do not think your sister could have these problems, but still she should be warrant about these contraindications before your sister starts use Benzaclin. Side effects of Benzaclin are shown during clinical trials and the most common was dry skin. This medicine should be applied twice a day daily, morning and evening, or the way it is directed by a physician. Benzaclin topical gel, however, should be appropriate treatment for her. I mean this especially if her doctor decided to give a shot with it, so I think you should not be worried. That is why tell her she should follow directions as her doctor said, use this drug for a while, and I hope she will notice improving in her acne problem soon.