Info that may help

12 years old

90 pounds

5.3 Feet tall

Anyways Since last saturday i thought about breathing then all of a sudden i had to manually breath until i stopped thinking about (got off the topic of breathing like right now im half-automatic-half-manually breathing while my brain switches it on and off! i hate it i think i might suffocate some times i bareley made it trough 3rd period at school today thinking that my body would catch back on Please Someone Help

Oh and im not the MOST active person you would meet but im so-so
active if that helps at all

Are you having any problem breathing? I mean can the air go in and out easily or are you having any pain? Any allergies? Do you feel like you're choking? How do you feel?

Our bodies are wonderful machines but sometimes our brains get a bit focussed on things and it causes trouble. You are very conscious of your breathing now so it seems like there is a problem. Are you under any stress, besides this? Can you talk to your parents about it?

If the air is going in and out OK then the good news is that if you actually did pass out that you'd keep breathing. You don't have to think about it at night when you sleep do you?

Talk to your parents and try to focus on fun things!

Yes i can breath just fine no i do not have to think about it while im
sleeping i contacted a doctor and he told me it was a average anxiety
attack caused by lack of sleep and stress more info tho would be nice

Good, I'm glad you talked to a doctor.

Actually, a lot of people have anxiety attacks. They can be scary but once you know what is happening it doesn't have to be so scary.

Lack of sleep and stress cause this, just as your doctor said. You need to find a way to reduce your stress. I know you say you're not the most active person, but exercise does help reduce your stress and it may make you a little more tired so you sleep better.

Try not to worry about things. At 12 you shouldn't have to. If things still bother you talk to your guidance counselor or school nurse. They can help you out too.

You can always ask ANYONE here to help too. We're all here for you.

Take care of yourself OK. All the best.

Thanks your the best i never knew there was a site like this. :-D

Well i was watching this documentary on NG, and they said that humans breading is un-conscience thing. The documentary was about the dolphins and they do it conscientiously, and if they forget to bread they can drown.
So from time to time, we can bread manually, but in most cases we are not even aware of it. You have probably had some panic attack. You are young and you should see a counselor or a doctor about that.
Have you talked to your parents about this?

The "Guest" (last post) is right. It's all a bunch of rubbish. People often try to find a problem in situations where there is no problem. It's our nature. Back to the main article, that's a common thing yo! Just think about other things. Your body won't let ya suffocate to death. If you really have a problem relaxing and thinking bout something else, go watch something on the telly or take a walk, get some fresh air.
Nothin' to worry about.

Yeah as the guests say, your body wouldn't let you suffocate yourself it WILL FORCE you to breathe if it has to.

What is this 'lets all turn on Dan'??

Lets get a bit of respect back, if you don't agree with his posts there are better ways to start your reply than with 'oh for gods sake'.

I have the same problem as you EXCEPT its ALOT WORSE trust me. I have allergies, but then again who doesnt? I also have post nasal drip and acid reflux disease. Btw im only 15. So trust me you have nothing to worry about. I have been stressing about dumb things such as allergic reactions, being punched in the throat (i do jiu jitsu so thats kind of a valid worry), and choking on food. Worrying about all those things has caused my life to be miserable at such a young age. Ive been to the doctor numerous times, and they all said its allergies in my throat due to the mucus of the post nasal drip. Just live your life and dont worry yourself. If uou do your gonna end up with acne, weight loss, (and thats not safe) i lost 20 lbs in a week from not eating, and you could start having depression, which is the worst of them all, on top of that you could cause physical harm too yourself, by thinking about it over and over. So once again dont worry about it.
Hope you feel and get better

Hi, I'm 16, 135 pounds and 5'9 (with a normal BMI). I have this problem too! When I start thinking about breathing I start getting short of breath and then when I try to take a big breath in, it's like there's a barrier that stops my lungs from expanding anymore and I can't get the air I want and I start freaking out. I also freak out in the shower when I'm washing my face and have to hold my breath. I can't even hold my breath for 5 seconds sometimes. It is very annoying. I'm not a big water fan, I haven't been in water for a couple years. I guess I might be afraid of drowning but I have no idea why that would be, I never really thought about it when I used to swim. Could I unwittingly have anxiety?

Read this. It's about being able to do something automatically, or manually. The reason it was so hard for you to breath, is because you've never really thought about it before so you've never done it manually before. You have the choice to take deep breaths, shallow ones, or even hold your breath. You can't die from holding your breath, nor can you die from breathing manually. I don't want to scare you so I'm not going to even go into the things we did as a kid.

I do remember however one time at my brothers birthday party a friend choked him, and made him pass out. My mom was scared he was ok though.

It's probably a better thing to even breath manually sometimes. We often take shallow breaths, and taking bigger breaths are healthier as long as you're not breathing in polluted air.

These are things you will come to learn as you're older. I'm 23, and I never really thought about it that hard, I just googled "do we breathe manually" after reading a few pages I came to this page to share some information.

All it did was freak you out. Try not to think about it as you said when you think about it your mind gets to focused on it, and you get scared. Don't worry I'm sure you're a healthy lad with no troubles, so take care it's cool to learn something though.

This is what Ive discovered on this interesting topic: When you become aware of your breathing you still continue to breathe automatically, the only difference is that you are aware of it and since you're now monitoring it consciously it feels as though you're doing it manually. It only become manual when you do make changes in you're breathing patterns. Don't let it bother you. You will eventually forget about it and eventually it wont even phase you. I'de know! xP

I was becoming worried i was having some sort of a breathing issue because i think about me and i wonder if im getting enough oxygen