Hello dont know if anyone can help but had one of these episodes two night ago.

Have had them for about 2 years, they dont happen that often.

I go to sleep as normal and then i start to dream about not breathing, dont know if that stops me breathing or my body/mind is trying to wake me up as i cant breath.  so i suddenly awake, and then panic, i cant breath at all, it all feels blocked in my chest, no air at all, i am gasping for breath trying to get a little bit in, i start coughing, some air goes in, i cough and cough for ages, like everything is irriitated and i have to cough, there is this stuff going down the back of my throat too, cant taste it, but think stuck like its a reaction to the coughing.  I am only guessing though as have no answers, but this has happened quite a few times now.

I am on thyroxine for 9 years, under active thryoid, and telfast 180mg allergy tablet for hives, and also nasal spray for rhinitus.

this is so frightening when it happens i cant breath and think what if i dont start breathing i will die.  i could not ring anyone i cant get my breath, i just gasp for breath trying to get some in and cough, cough, with all this stuff going down the back of my throat.

what is happening?  i might go to the doctors again, have been a few times of the years and they have listened but never done anything, no tests nothing.

can anyone advise, or have a similar problem.  I am a 48 year old woman, dont smoke, dont drink.

bye for now, hope someone will chat and reply and can share our experiences

:-( 

Maybe you have sleep apnea.  My dad had that.

thank you for your reply, did he have the same symptons as me? I am 48 a woman.

dont get this a lot but when i do get it, its really frightening.

i am normal weight 8 stone 9 pounds, five foot 2.5 inches.

thanks for your time

Yes but he also had COPD.  The sleep apnea though was treated with a  mask that he kept on his face while he slept.  It kept air in him and most of the problems associated with his sleep apnea got better after that.  My mother also suffers from sleep apnea, just not as extreme as he did.  She too has Under active thyroid.  Do you snore at night?    I would definitely be sure to speak to your doctor because the things you are describing are very serious. 

Good luck.

sunshinett wrote:

scorpio1984 wrote:

thanks for your time

I am quite sure that it is sleep apnea, but this your doctor can confirm....you should get it treated asap,the quicker you treat it the quicker you can live a normal life, it will not go away by itself and will only get worse without treatment in time.

Have you ever had an apnea link or sleep study? You should consider it. Also, what position are you normally lying in when you sleep at night? Do you primarily breathe out your nose or mouth at night and do you snore? Look up foods that can help change your types of dreams at night.

Go to a local ENT office and have your nose and throat checked. Could be septal deviation or post nasal drip making you have the difficulty breathing.

Thank you for your reply, i have not had apnea link or sleep study, i have rhinitis, and take allergy tablets telast and nasal spray on and off

thank you for your reply i have just googled septal deviation and dont think that it will be this, i dont have nose bleeds and have been to ENT years ago they said i had Chronic Rhinitis. but when i get these attacks they come all of a sudden, maybe another allergic reaction to something in bed, weird. but its like i wake up gasping for breath, there is not air there, everything has got shut off, and cant get air in and then and only then the excess mucus/fluid whatever it is pours down the back of my throat like a tap been turned on, so fast that its choking me and i cant swallow it fast enough, and therefore cant get air in. eventually it passes but takes ages to settle down.

thanks for any replies

I have just started to experience this...three times in the last two weeks. I am a 32 year old non smoker and non drinker. No anxiety issues. I am on levoxyl and have been for 9 years. I noticed both of You have thyroid conditions as well and wonder if its related. I am thinking of calling my doc after the new year. I have two small children and this is starting to scare me.

hello so you have underactive thyroid?

do you have any allergies take telfast?

are you experencing exactly what i described?

i have not had it in ages

but when i do i get it a few times close together

happened for years on and off

but you feel like you will die when it happens

so do you get

1. the feelng you have not breathed in a while, wake up to lack of air?
2. cant breath?
3. then start coughing and like a tap turned on all this stuff going down the back of your throat blocking this even furtehr?

let me know how you are

all the best

sunshinett

i had the same problem with you too and it just happened yesterday and after my birthday last december, it scared me a lot,,it seems it is the end of my life every time it will attack me. It happened even if im sleeping or even just sitting down or sometimes when im eating. just like yesterday,,there was no air coming in,it was so hard for mo to reached my breathe,as if my esophagus was locked,,so there was no air pass into my passage,i dont know what's wrong with me,I went to a doctor to checked if what's going on with me,,but the doctor said,,,may be it was just stressed,,or any problem,But the truth was i dont have any problem with my family,,nothing really stressed me,,im not doing anything at home,,just purely looking after my son,,so i guessed im not exhausted at all. I dont drink or smoke,,im also eating healthy foods, So I dont really know what was the problem of my breathing,Hope someone will help us,,For those who will gonna exert their effort replying to this message,,I thank you in advance,and may God bless us always,

Hello I only ever get this at night. I go to bed normally and then wake up to this. but it seems you get it whilst awake too?

have you been to the doctors yet what have they said?
any tests?

hope you are ok

take care

sunshinett

Did you have alot of sugar to eat that evening? I heard it could be linked to insulin. And it happens to alot of people with Diabetes. Also it could be reflux or acid fumes irritating your lungs.

I would go to bed suddenly wake up coughing, hot and unable to breath. But if I fell asleep on the couch I seem to get a good night sleep, So I thought it must be an allergy, dust mites, perhaps the detergent my bedding was washed in ,or that particular mattress, I tried everything I could think of bought a new mattress, changed the carpet, tried a chemical free detergent, bought an allergy free mattress cover etc.etc.nothing worked.

Last week I had stayed up late and was very tired, the bedroom was dark I pulled back the covers,climbed in and had a good night sleep, I then realized I was on top of the sheets not between them, wow could it be something as simple as that, knowing sheets have a much tighter weave and humans also breath through their skin , could it be I was suffocating my oxygen intake, ever sense that night I do not sleep between sheets and all my sleep problems went away thank God.

I can only say this turned out to be my solution, I hope it will help someone else out there.