Hello this has happend quite a few times over the years and have been to the doctros but they do not do anything.

i dont know if its allergies or what it is.

i am completely asleep, sometimes i dream i am drowing or cant breath, but dont know if that is actually becuaes i cant breath and have this sort of dream or whatever it is.

i suddenly wake up, realise i cannot breath no air, totally blocked in my chest thats what it feels like.  it feels like i have not breathed in ages.  so desperatly trying to breath get air in, eventually after several minuites air goes in, but at same time i have started coughing and coughing whilst trying to get air in.  then also this happens each time i seem to produced something thick down the back of my throat, its like a river and have to keep swallowing otherwise it will choke me, so choking with this thick stuff (which has no taste and going down the back of my throat), and coughing as its blocking my airway, after a long time it settles down.

has anyone got these symptons?  what is it?  then i could go to the doctors and say hey this is what someone else has had.  It is so frightening each time it happens and it only happens when i am asleep.

can some please help with their views or shared experiences, there must be others out there with such a problem.

i am 48 year old woman on thyroxine for 9 years for under active thyroid, take 180mg of telfast allergy tablet a day for uticaria (itchy rash, hives) and take nasal spray twice a day for rhinitus.

thank you

sunshinett

hw r u doing.. mam
there could b many reasons for it, may b due to some infection..
or
may b due to thyroxine...
well, dnt wry, it wouldn't be so bad...
simply, go to the doctor n ask him/her that can it be the reaction of my medicines....??
i hope he'll be able to solve ur problem..
take care

thank you for your reply, you are the first to reply. thank you for taking the time.

i dont think infection as have had it on and off for years.

never thought of medication could ask. but when i start the coughing after waking up not being able to breah, then if almost like my body goes into overdrive and produces this stuff, that is think that pours down the back of my throat.  like a tap has been turned on, and that makes me cough more trying to clear it as it blocks my airway.  but when i wake up first its like i have not been breathing for a while i am starved of oxygen, thats what it feels like.

have you had a similar problem?

thank you for your reply

i had a coughing problem in night but not as severe as urz...
n my problem was due to sever cold n weakness at the age of 17...

yeah, but one of my neighbors complaint abt hving cough at the sleep time n airway blockage.... n when she went to doctor... he diagnosed Asthma...

pleasure.. mam
Get well soon

thank you for your reply. hope you are ok at the moment

yes could be asthma, but i am ok as far as i know during the day time, this happens without any notice, i go to bed and then wake up and cant breath, no air at all, starved of oxygen for quite a while or thats how it feel, start coughing trying to get air in and then all this stuff down the back of my throat happens.

when i get another attach i shall go, you cant say when, they are not regular and have only perhaps say 5 a year, although sometimes i do cough at night have a spell of this for about a week and the cough settles down again.

thank you for replying and all the best

its my pleasure mam..!!!
ul be f9.. soon
Take care

it sounds to me like you have sleep apnea.  i am 5'7" and 120 lbs and occasionally have sleep apnea- and sometimes more frequently than other times. I've never been treated for it as i think i will be ok. my father also has it and my aunt actually has it to the point where she has to sleep with a special mask on at night. both my aunt and father are overweight and that is a trigger for the sleep apnea.  

it's scary isn't it! i hate the feeling! for me, i could be asleep and then without opening my eyes, i can feel myself awakening and feel as if i have forgotten to breathe- (because i have stopped breathing) and then i wake up in a frenzy trying to catch my breath.  so strange and scary- really hate it and hope mine does not get any worse! i can remember as a child hearing my dad not snore for long periods of time when he should have been- i'm pretty sure it's because he flat out was not breathing! 

racheljones wrote:

Hello rachel thanks for the reply. I am 5fooot 2.5 inches tall, and weight 8stone 10 lbs. age 48.
and female
had this for years, did not have it as a child.

dont get this very often though but when i do get it there is no warning when i go to bed that it is going to happen and like you, feel like i have not breathed in a long time.

when you try to breath after this, do you feel its hard to get the air in?
thats its blocked off and little space to get the air in?
do you get the same as me, next thing to happen after you have got little bits of air in is for you to start coughing, then you have all this stuff like a tap has been turned on pour down the back of your neck? this stuff is then blocking your airway and making it even more difficult to get your breath! eventually it settles down, but you could not get help at first as you cant get enough air in to move, you think you are going to die if you dont get air in and its been all blocked off.

are you the same, what exactly happens to you?

i can tell you it so clearly as it has happend loads of times over teh years now, but only about 4 times or so a year.

how often do you get it?
how manys years has it happened for?
have you been to the doctors or dont want to go?

another thing i find and this is a seperate issue, is when i have a bath, like baths, i do like the water hot and lie in it, i generally put a bit more cold in before long as too hot, but when i get out, my heart is racing, out of breath, feel weak, but this always happens to me again for years and years, if in the house, have towel on still and have a lie down or sit down. if i put my hand on my chest my heart is beating very strong and very fast. presume due to the water being hot, dont really know. but this always happens to me.

the only tablets i take is thyroxine, taken that for about 9 years and also allergy tablets, tend to take 180mg of telfast, but sometimes change them as dont want them to get used to me, but all common allergy tablets, i get these on prescription so doctor aware of them. as have uticaria and chronic rhinitis, or at least they say i do. dont take the nasal spray but sometimes taket his in the summer with the hayfever season.

its nice to chat to you, hope you are not too bad.

it sounds like what i have, my doctor thinks i have whooping cough, i have about 20 episodes of this, night time is the worst.

Quote:

hello and thank you for your reply. you sound bad with whooping cough, hope this gets better soon for you.
mine is not the same, i dont have it very often at all but when i do its really frightening as i wake up and its like i have not breathed in ages, and then when i do manage to get any air in then i start coughing and there is all this stuff going down the back of my throat making it even harder like i am drowing in the stuff, its like a tap has suddenly been turned on, and it is like a river down the back of my throat blocking my airway and i am still trying to get air in through this thick stuff, as it is think and i am trying to swallow it and its making me cough. so difficult to catch my breath. eventually it starts to settle down, and then i start to breath normally with the odd cough being left for a while, but left frightened think i nearly did not breath i nearly died. thats the best i can explain what happends, seeing it only happens the odd times in the year i have not persued it greatly, its not like i can say to some one it happens at least once a week, it does not, it happens but only a few times a year. I cannot tell when its going to come on, just at night, when i am asleep never in the day time, has beenhappening for quite a few years, but only say 4 or 6 times a year if i had to guess at the figure. so unusual and dont know what it is, but really frightening as i have no air when i wake up at all, almost like i have stopped breathing. but no warning when i go to bed that this is going to happen. thank you and hope you are feeling better soon.

sunshinett wrote:

thank you

sunshinett

It happen to me frequently, what I do is to get my fnger inside my throat and try to take the saliva out.
M.L.

Quote:

sunshinett wrote:

thank you

sunshinett

M.L.

It is not in my mouth, is like it is going down the back like a tap has been turned on and a river of whatever flowing down the back and chocking me. Prior to this happening I have been asleep and wake up gasping or breath and everything is shut off like i have not breathed in ages.
hope you are feeling a bit better

I also have had this happen to me. But it does happen during the day as well. I had a chest x-ray. NOTHING there. This has been going on for more than 6 weeks now. I also have a thyroid issue. I take 100 mcg's of levithroid. I was told its probably a virus.

amg wrote:

I have been suffering with this waking up and not being able to breath, its so scary. It only started last week wednesday, had it every night some times twice in the night ever since, 5 nights. I started of with a really bad cough, gasping for air and choking... i have ashthma and have been taking my steroid 4 times a day as per docs instructions about 4 weeks ago now. also took a course of antibiotics.. Dont feel any better feeling like i have thick musus at the back of my throat that i just cant clear. when i told the doc after 2 nights of suffering he asked if i was still taking my asthma pump... and it will clear up after 4 weeks, i asked him if it could be whooping cough. he said no..... i actually dont want to go to bed to sleep, wondering if i will wake up in the morning......

Hello  seems lots of people have similar problems

one lady said she was on thyroxine, I too have been on thyroxine 125 mg for 9 years, and also on telfast which is an allergy tablet.

i have not had one of these episode for about a month now, so cant be a virus, as they are infrequent and no symtons until i have an attach, which is only at night.

dont know if this helps others to say things about this.

bye for now>:(