I have been thinking something about problem that my mother has. She suffers of headache for many years. I think that is the most common chronic illness in the world. However, I think there are not so many people who actually understand this illness. Can you give me an explanation about the main problem with this chronic illness such as headache is?

It is true headache is one of the commonest chronic illness with which patients come to a doctor. Headache may be a forerunner of a variety of eye problems, and anyone who is suffering from a constant headache illness should consult an eye specialist. Migraine is one of the most painful headaches known to humankind. The prevalence of migraine increases rapidly in the first and second decade of life. Then it remains steady until the fourth or fifth decade of life, and then slowly declines with age. Migraines as one type of chronic illnesses tend to run in families. Eye disease causing headache illnesses are infrequent and are accompanied by other visual symptoms like blurring of vision, haloes around lights, and photophobia. Some other diseases that can cause headache illness can be due to ears, teeth, jaws, tumors, etc. Ophthalmologist can be of help in diagnosing the cause of headache and may prescribe glasses when a need is felt for them, or give appropriate treatment.

My mother had chronic headaches all of her life (and for the first 35 years or so of mine). She finally had a CT scan a few years ago, after seizures that rendered her almost comatose. It turned out she had a cavernoma in her frontal lobe. She had brain surgery to remove it. It took over a year for the headaches to really be resolved.