I've just recently been diagnosed with having adenomyosis (uterine thickening moving through the uterus wall) My doctor is recommending tubal ligation and ablation at the same time. I've heard alot of negative things about it. (9 out of 10 woman say they regretted it) The doctor said if this is not successful I can then consider a hysterectomy. I'm trying to figure out if i should just skip the tubal ligation and do the hysterectomy. My primary concern of course is side effects. I do not want to gain weight after either of these procedures. (I've heard of woman gaining ALOT of weight after both) I'm afraid after the tubal ligation and ablation it may not stop the heavy bleeding i I do not plan on having any more children. I'm going to be 30 and suffer from really heavy periods and pain with intercourse which brought me to my diagnosis. I do not want to get on the pill or any other b/c in fear of gaining weight and it will not help with the pain during intercourse. So I'm looking for some advice on which of the two is better and what to expect during and after the procedure. Please help....I'm so confused.

I think that your best bet is to go with the tubal ligation, as it sounds like that would have the fewest side effects and seems to directly benefit your condition. Do you think that you'd want to go with that?

I've just had an ablation and had a tubal done last year. One of the benefits to the ablation is that you don't have to go on hormones.

The hormones is 1 reason I chose the ablation. But I always had heavy periods but after I had my tubal done in Jan 2011 I started having extremely heavy bleeding. I seen in another post a woman mentioned that happening to her. So in Oct. 2011 I had the novasure done. I haven't had a period at all since & no cramping. But I've recently noticed weight gain in my stomach area mainly which is where others said they have noticed it. Also I seen where a woman mentioned diminished sex drive which is something I've just recently started to notice. Personally if I knew these 2 things were possible I probably would have looked into other things or dealt with the heavy periods. But I think my trouble started with the tubal. There was another woman who mentioned heavier bleeding after her tubal also.
I wish you the best of luck.

I attempted to have the ablation done, but the risk of perforation injury was too severe and instead had a hysterectomy.  Left ovaries, NO regrets... Libido returned, no hormones, wish I had done it years previously. 

I had a tubal 3.5 yrs ago after my 2nd child was born and immediately had random periods, short, long, one 10 days after stopping the last, really heavy, big clots, etc. Gained 15 lbs after losing ALL of my baby weight, no sex drive, and all that jazz . I finally got a 2nd opinion from a new doc, as my previous one said to try ibuprofen for the heavy bleeding and to do kegels for the pain, yea right...

Turns out I have a large fibroid and will need to be removed. Doing hysteroscopy to see what else they see with the fibroid and adenomyosis. I have the option for abaltion or hysterectomy...I WILL NOT have the ablation. I am finished having kids( i have a 6 yr old and a 3.5 yr old) and dont want to deal with the pain or bleeding anymore. I will have the hysterectomy and leave my perfectly healthy ovaries so I will not need any hormones.  Every woman in my family thus far has needed either a full or partial hysterectomy, "female problems" seem to run in the family for some reason. My doctor is concerned that at my age all of these things are happening, I told him i have actually made it a few yrs longer than my other female family members before needing a hysterectomy!  P.S. I'm only 26. :-/

I had Thermal choice don't 4 yrs ago had little discharge and very little pain afterwards no signs of menstrual cycle . Before procedure (13yrs) ago had tubal done worst pain ever heavy painful cycles blood clots 2x month even got pregnant 2x that's when my Dr. advised Therma Choice best thing ever for me. My heart goes out to women who have had bad experiences with the procedure however everyone body is totally different , for me no weight gain , loss maybe 10lbs, no cramps, no bleeding , no side effects and my sex life has improved , the best choice I've ever made .