I need your help! Urgent! My period is late for 6 -7 days and this never happened to me. My period is always regular and I don't know what to do. I would swear that there is no chance for me to be pregnant because I had a tubal ligation. But my friend says that it IS possible. And I don't know how???

Sure, my boyfriend and I - we don't use protection, but I believed that there is no reason for me to be scared....

Is it possible for a woman to get pregnant after tubal ligation? I really need your opinion, experience and help! 

Hi Guest,

It is possible to become pregnant after tubal ligation, there are always some slight chances for it to happen, your doctor should have told you this before you underwent the surgery, tubal ligation doesn't make you completely prone to becoming pregnant.

If you are having some pregnancy symptoms, you need to talk to your doctor because you might have an ectopic pregnancy, that is what usually happens to women who are experiencing pregnancy symptoms after they did tubal ligation. This can lead to some complications so the sooner you go and talk to your doctor, the better, trust me.

There are some cases which I have heard of, when women got pregnant even though they had their tubes tied. I think that the chances for that to happen are really small but they still exist so the main question is if all of this is worth the risk. But since you are already passed the point when you have to think about that and you already had your tubal ligation surgery, now it is time to visit your doctor because you think that you are pregnant. It is definitely a possibility but don't make any conclusions yet, go and talk to your doctor.

Don't panic, every woman sometimes experiences a late period, it doesn't always have to come at the exact date when you are expecting it. I used to freak out myself when I would notice that my period is late for a couple of days but it all turned out to be okay so stay positive here.

It is true that you can become pregnant after tubal ligation but the odds for that are extremely small so I am guessing that you are okay and that you are going to get your period in the next couple of days, don't you worry about it.

Jessica is right, calm down, the chances of becoming pregnant after tubal ligation are very small so don't worry about it until you find out whether you are really pregnant or not. Once you find it out and if you find out that you are indeed pregnant, that might be the time to get upset about it but don't do it now. Your period is probably just a bit late as it often happens so don't rush into making any conclusions. But be sure to talk to your doctor and your gynecologist about this if you don't get your period in the next couple of days.

Any news? I was hoping that by now you will write and say that you talked to your doctor or something, I am really curious to know what happened and if you found out that you really are pregnant or that you maybe aren't. I hope that the people here convinced you to talk to your doctor and to not be too scared about this. Sometimes you can even have a normal pregnancy even though you had your tubes tied. I am hoping to hear from you soon and I am hoping that you talked to your doctor and that everything is okay.

Everything is possible, even to get pregnant after tubal ligation. But I still do believe that changes are minor. Also, this all depends on your doctor who did this procedure, how he did it. 

I know one lady who was pregnant a year after tubal ligation and I remember that this was really weird to us.

I have heard that chances are 10 to 20 percent, so if you are the "lucky" one, you will be in that category.

Maybe your period is just late, maybe you still have some side - effects from this procedure. Stay calm and visit your doctor. 

Hello there. I am one of those who was pregnant after tubal ligation process. I always knew that there are some chances of this, but I never believed that this is going to happen to me. Guess that I was not so into this process, I haven't asked a lot of question and this is what happened to me. My period was 10 days late, I was sure that I am getting into menopause so I was not so stressed about this. Until I started to have nausea, while I started to throw up, etc. So, I went to see my doctor and - surprise. I was pregnant. I just want to tell you that you need to try to find out as much as you can about this procedure and remember one thing - nothing is 100% sure and effective.

Sure, it is possible and I am pretty sure that I was discussing this subject here before. 

I do agree that a lot of potential patients don't want to ask more about this. They are like "just do it, and that is a huge mistake. Look, while tubal ligation is (as they say - for the most part) effective in preventing pregnancy, it isn’t an absolute.

Doctors did some researches and they find out that estimated 1 out of every 200 women will become pregnant after tubal ligation. Tubal ligation can increase your risk of an ectopic pregnancy as well. 

Some woman doesn't pay attention to the symptoms that they have because, after tubal ligation, signs of pregnancy are not ordinary. Symptoms that are usually associated with this type of pregnancy include breast tenderness, you are sick very often but not as much as you are when you have "regular" pregnancy, you are feeling nausea in the morning, and of course your period is late. Girls who have their tubes tied are usually very sure that they can't be pregnant and that is not true. My advice is to observe some symptoms that you have, no matter what. You can't be sure that you are done with pregnancies when you do this.