I'm 37 years old and I have 6 children. My husband and I have been considering some form of permanent contraception for a while now. We have come to conclusion that it would be the best if I underwent a procedure of tubal ligation to prevent further pregnancies. We have heard about the special form of tubal ligation called Pomeroy’s method and it was recommended by our doctor. What kind of a procedure is that and what's the advantage of Pomeroy’s method over other methods of tubal ligation?

Tubal ligation is one of the permanent methods of contraception. It includes separating fallopian tubes from the uterus so the egg cannot get from the ovary to the uterus and get implanted, so the woman who had her ovaries tied or ligated can't get pregnant. Although tubal ligation is considered permanent, in some cases it can be reversible. Pomeroy’s method of tubal ligation is considered one of the most acceptable ones. More than 70 % of women who had their ovaries tied using this method can get pregnant after the reversal procedure, where as in other methods that is not possible. In this method the fallopian tube is ligated by a dissolvable ligature creating a loop on the fallopian tube. The part of the tube between the loop is cut off and after the procedure two separated healthy parts of the fallopian tube remain. That’s what makes this method reversible – remaining parts of the tube are totally healthy. Your doctor will probably use minimally invasive method like laparoscopy, so there would be very little side effects or complications. Good luck and let us know how it all went.

I had a tubal 9 yrs ago ever since then i have gained 20 lbs. my periods are horrible, i feel like my inside are going to burst. i have lower stomach pains and every month my breast feel tender. i have more pain on my right side of my ovaries. why?? I have mood swings that i know affect my marriage. I have had nothing but problems. I really just want to go back tot he Dr and say undo the damage. It is just too painful. When i get my periods i get them heavy and i mean heavy, sometimes i get blood clots, and i am like man what else can come out..Although my period lasts 3 days it is really painful and not the usual cramps either. I wish my Dr would have told me these things but then again all men think woman are all menatl in some sort of way.. :twisted: