I have watched on television some scientific program, where they were talking about hernia. At beginning, I was not actually interested. Then, I have heard that hernia involve the embryological route of descent of the testicle. That is why it seems inguinal hernias are more common in males than females. In addition, they said that in males the hernia contents commonly enter the scrotum. This really sounds scary to me, so I would like to know a little bit more about hernia.

Hernia is the protrusion of an organ or tissue out of the body cavity. It is included for cavities in which it normally lies. The most common hernias develop in the abdomen. There a weakness in the abdominal wall evolves into a localized hole, through which the protrusion occurs. These may present either with pain at the site, or a visible or palpable lump. Fatty tissue usually enters a hernia first, but it might be together with a segment of intestine. In addition, there were reported cases where hernia involves and some abdominal organ. It is generally advisable to repair hernias in a timely fashion, in order to prevent complications. Some of these complications include intestinal blockage, gangrene, and death at the end. Most hernias are able to surgical repair, and recovery rarely requires long-term changes in lifestyle.