Hi, guys. My friend has some hernia problems. He went to a doctor and he was diagnosed direct inguinal hernia. I must admit that I didn’t know there was a direct type. I would like to know what this is. Can anyone help me with this? I would appreciate all your replies. Bye!

Hello. Yes, inguinal hernias can be direct or indirect. Direct hernia occurs slightly inside of the wall where indirect hernia appears. In that place, abdominal wall is slightly thinner. It will rarely protrude into the scrotum. Indirect hernia follows the pathway that made testicles from abdomen into the scrotum. This is normal in fetuses. This pathway normally closes after the birth, but can be place for future hernias. Indirect hernia happens at any age. Direct is more characteristic for middle aged and elderly men. It is caused by weakening of the abdominal wall with age.