My very good friend was diagnosed with inguinal hernias; I think it is the groin area. He is very sweet and I am worried about him. He is snowboard instructor and he lives very healthy life. I thought that he will never be sick. I was wondering can anyone tell me some info about inguinal hernias, especially what cause it and how it’s treated. Is he going to need surgery? Thanks.

Inguinal hernias are caused by a weakness in the abdominal wall and it develops over time. It can be a result of, physical activity that places pressure on the abdomen beside other things. The abdominal wall is weak, the hernia occurs during abdominal strain. An inguinal hernia causes a bulge in the groin area, often painless, but may be tender and can cause discomfort during any type of physical strain, such as lifting or coughing. People with inguinal hernias can wear a special type of belt, a truss, to support the hernia and keep it from bulging out. He should also avoid any activities that cause abdominal strain. However, most patients elect surgery to repair inguinal hernias and avoid the possibility of a strangulated hernia.