I know that hernia is the protrusion of an organ or tissue out of the body cavity. I found out when I had this case in my family. My father had problems and when he visited doctor, he diagnosed him with inguinal hernia. Anyway, I would like to know more about this type of hernia. I know there are many different kinds, but I am especially interested into inguinal hernia.

Inguinal hernia means exactly what you know, protrusion tissue out of body cavity, in which it normally lies. The most common hernias develop in the abdomen, when weakness in the abdominal wall evolves into a localized hole. You can assume that through this defect the protrusion is possible to occur. Usually hernia may present either with pain at the site, a visible or palpable lump, or in some cases by more vague symptoms. I have to tell you that recovery of hernias rarely requires long-term changes in lifestyle. By far the most common abdominal hernias are the so-called inguinal hernias, as your father experienced. This one is named for the Latin word for groin, and these hernias involve the bulging of abdominal contents into a defect in the inguinal canal. Since they involve the embryological route of descent of the testicle, inguinal hernias are more common in males. Furthermore, in males the inguinal hernia contents commonly enter the scrotum. Inguinal hernias are further divided into the more common indirect inguinal hernia, which is hernia when the inguinal canal is entered via a congenital weakness at its apex. We could notice and the direct type, where the hernia contents push through a weak spot in its back wall.