I had a partial hysterectomy which was successful but within a week post surgery I had a hernia due to coughing! :( It is now 3 weeks since my 2nd surgery. I have no pain but the swelling does not seem to have gone down. I have a 16cms vertical incision which they had to repair and after an ultrasound 2 weeks ago, they found 15 cms worth of fluid around the whole area. Apparently they had to do extensive fascia repair due to the weakness in the area stemming from an old horizontal incision from an old surgery which crossed the line of my recent vertical incision.
I am a fitness instructor and plan to start getting back on my feet 3 weeks from now. Will this swelling be gone by then? and can I get back to my fitness routine full throttle??

Since I have a much bigger scar going all the way across my stomach for almost a year now, one of my biggest fears is the possibility of hernia happening, so I've gotten to know all there is to know about it. But, can't you see how simple it is - you've got it because of coughing and you expect to be completely physically fit and active far more than the coughing is in three weeks? Don't you see that more activity so soon (it will not completely heal that quickly, if ever completely, because muscle wall is weakened) is just too much risk for it happening again? You can't force your body into things before it's ready.