I have a hernia and have to go in for an operation in a few weeks. But I recently lost quite a bit of weight and have excess skin, especially around my tummy. So I got thinking, if I am in for an op anyway, do you think it would be possible to have a hernia repair op and tummy tuck surgery at the same time, to kill two birds with stone?

Even better, has a member of this forum already had a combined hernia repair/tummy tuck surgery? I would lobe to hear your experience if you have. Of course it might not even be possible. 

Yes, naval hernia repair and tummy tuck surgery can be done together at the same time, in which case the tummy tuck easily exposes the hernia and allows for quick repair. You are right that there are benefits in having two surgeries done at once. What you do need to know is that it involves two different surgeons though, and they both have to agree before this kind of combo surgery can go ahead. If you want this done at the same time you will probably have to delay your hernia repair to find two surgeons that can do two operations in one sitting.

Yes, combined tummy tuck/hernia repair surgery is not that unusual at all.

Like the last post says, you might have some logistical issues and insurance issues to work out if you want this though. It's unlikely that the tummy tuck surgery will be covered by insurance for instance but your hernia repair will be. When they are done at once, that makes the admin side of things a little more complicated. Since I assume you'd like as much covered as possible, check this out thoroughly before going ahead or you may be left paying for the whole thing.

Celebrity

This is an excellent idea. These two surgeries are in fact done together on a regular basis, and indeed, it is safer to undergo one operation than two. The recovery period is minimized this way as well. 

I am of course not sure where you live and whether you are seeing a private or public clinic. If you're private, it's quite possible that you can simply ring in and ask whether you can have both tummy tuck and hernia repair at the same time already scheduled, if your clinic works with a large number of different surgeons with different specialties. I would check, if you are serious about wanting this. It cannot harm. 

Rosie

I agree. If you're with a small private clinic, which offers both hernia repair and abdominoplasty, this should not be too much of a problem, though you might still have to reschedule the operation if you are asking for a change of plans at short notice.

If you're on state healthcare for the hernia repair though, this will probably not work out at all.

It is possible though, to combine these two surgeries. This is done quite often.

Good luck!

Ah, I never realised that about tummy tuck and hernia repair being a common thing to be done together. That's really cool. OP, how are you doing and have you made any moves about having these two surgeries done together? I'd sure like to hear about it for one and you might have some tips that help other people who want this done together as well. I wonder if recovery takes longer for one... if it does that's one thing to keep in mind I guess when you decide whether you want this or not, but in either case it's gotta be better than two surgeries if you're gonna have the tummy tuck one way or another...