Hello. I need your help. My sister called me yesterday. She was desperate. Her dog is sick. He is 2 years old and he has never been sick before. Now he looks like he is in pain. He cannot walk properly. He refuses to eat, he refuses to drink. She didn’t know what to do with him. So she took him to the vet and she told her that the dog has parvovirus. She figured that it must be parvovirus B19 and she knows how serious it can be. I tried to cheer her up a bit by saying that it’s nothing serious, it’s curable and stuff like that, but the truth is, I have no idea what are the possible consequences of this virus. Can a dog die because of it?

I am so sorry to hear that.

I am very sensitive when it comes to this topic because my family had a dog for 9 years and eventually he caught some type of virus. He couldn’t make it since he was a bit old and not in the best shape. But I like to think that he had the nicest life. We really tried making it better as much as we could.

As for this type of virus you mentioned, B19 is not an option since this virus affects only humans and a dog definitely cannot die because of it.

It must be some other type.

Sensitive topic, and I really hate to talk about it, because I told you before, my mom lost her dog because of this stupid parvovirus. But, I am willing to help anyone with my advice… Well, as rubylock said this b19 virus is not an option at all. This is fifth disease caused by infection with human parvo b19, and this virus infects ONLY humans. It is simple, a child cannot get parvovirus from pets and pet cannot catch human parvovirus B19 from a child that is infected. This dog cannot die because of it, for b19 you should not be worried. 

Hey there. Like you told her, it is nothing serious. But, I really do understand your sister, because I think that this is awful feeling knowing that your dog is sick, and that he might have some disease that can’t be cured :/ But, like others told you, you can tell her that there is no reason for she to be worried so much, because, I repeat, like others told you, there is no way that parvovirus b19 can cause dog’s death. It must be something other, so I really do recommend you to tell her to visit her vet as soon as possible. 

Hey there. No, you really don’t have any reason to be worried about this issue. I don’t know did she visit her vet, because he would told her exactly the same thing, so don’t worry. Now, some of those symptoms must be caused by some other disease, but I think that no one in here can tell you what they are exactly. I have a dog as well, like many of you in here, and I always take him to the vet when he has some strange symptoms. Now, sometimes, it was nothing, but thanks to all those visits, I have learn a lot about my dog and possible diseases.
Good luck!

Parvovirus can be very dangerous. Many dogs die because of it.

The assumption that it must be Parvovirus B19 is wrong. Like you have already been told before, this type of virus affects only humans.

Humans often think that the virus was transferred to them by their dogs, but the truth is, this virus cannot be transferred from dogs to humans because it affects only humans.

That dog must be suffering from another type of parvovirus, and although it is very serious, I really hope he will make it. Many dogs do. I hope he has a good immune system .

Hello Mima.

I am glad that we can give you (and your sister too) good news. As mentioned before b19 is a virus that can attacks just humans. So tell your sister to be calm about it. Her dog probably caught some cold and that’s why he is acting strangely. 

I read your post again. He is having problems with walking and he refuses to eat or drink. That seems very familiar.

He probably injured some of his legs and he is in pain. Sometimes when they are in pain dogs refuse to eat and drink. This happened once with my dog too.

Hi, Mima.

We got ourselves in a bit of loop with this topic. The vet told your sister that her dog has parvo, and she assumed that it must be b19, right? The next thing is that b19 affects only humans and dogs are safe from it, so that assumption is ruled out.

Still, we have diagnosis of parvo from vet. That means her dog has some other form of it. In that case, she needs to start with treatment.

Yes, the parvo can be fatal for dogs, but her dog is still young and strong, so he is having good chances to pull it through.