Hello everyone. I’ve been to an animal shelter a week ago. My friend wanted to adopt a dog. She asked this woman who works there are there any small breed dogs who are looking for a new home. She showed us three senior dogs, all of them were small and my friend immediately fell in love with one of them. We took him home. But after a day or two she noticed he is a bit weak. She called the shelter and asked if the dog is vaccinated and everything, they said yes, but she doesn’t believe them because a friend of hers took a dog from the same shelter and it turned out the dog had parvovirus when she took him. Now she is scared her dog might have caught it too. Does anyone here know how does this virus manifest itself?

Hi. This virus manifest itself in two different ways. The first one is: 

Intestinal form of Parvovirus - Intestinal issues are the main symptoms of  this virus. 

So if you notice vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, a lack of energy and lack of appetite- you (your friend) might be dealing with Parvovirus.  

And there is also cardiac form of Parvovirus – These symptoms are pretty rare and they affect the dog's heart. 

Muscles of the heart are being attacked and they can’t work as they should. Unfortunately, dogs often die when that happens. :(

This set of symptoms are most common in young puppies.  

You said that someone took the dog from same shelter and that dog is having parvo? If that is true, then there is a good chance your friend’s dog has it as well.

Parvo is transmitted via infected dog’s feces and it is possible your friend’s dog came in contact with it.

You already read symptoms, so she needs to take him to the vet for determining the proper diagnosis. If it is really a parvo, she must start with treatment immediately by strengthening the dog’s immune system.

Parvo is a serious condition but it can be suppressed with proper care. 

Good luck!

Um, I totally agree with other members. According to everything you said, there is possibility that this dog has canine parvovirus as well. But, you can’t be sure. The first option is to visit the vet, because he is the only one who can tell you all about it. The affected dog can have all symptoms that are common of the virus. He can experience diarrhea, vomiting, weight loss, lack of energy, lack of appetite. Those are the best symptoms to see is this dog sick or not. If you see any of these results, you should go to your vet as soon as possible, before it is late. 

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that! :/ Those people there should have told your friend about the possibility for him to have parvovirus. It’s well known that it can be easily transmitted from one infected dog to another if they were in contact. Anyway, I can imagine that the dog will be better and faster cured with your friend than in the shelter.So, first of all, pay attention to his behavior. Is he completely not interested in playing, does he spend most of the day in some corner laying down? Not to mention diarrhea and throwing up, loss of appetite. But if she wants to be 100% sure, take him to the vet. 

I remember when we discovered our neighbor’s dog had parvovirus. I was desperate cause I was pretty sure he was going to die. And he was practically my dog since I used to take him out, my mother used to feed him every day since his owners and my family (even though we lived in different houses) shared the yard.

His first symptoms were loss of appetite and diarrhea. He lost all his energy. He was a very cheerful and energetic dog before. And all of a sudden, he started feeling weak. He used to lie down all day.

Luckily he got out of it surprisingly fast. :)

Hey there. My mom lost her dog because of this awful disease. It was too late when she discovered this, and now, she is not planning to have a dog – never again. I grew up with this dog, and I had a lot of doubts when I was buying a dog for myself. But, my dog is fine.

I remember that her dog didn’t want to eat, and his stool was so watery. Very soon after this, he started to have some rash, and he couldn’t sleep. But, that happen in two weeks. Those are main symptoms. I am sorry to hear this :/ I know that feeling. 

Hey. There are two different ways, but others were talking about this as well. Consulting your vet is something that you have to do, without thinking twice – in this case, of course. Parvo is particularly difficult to kill, and this virus is programmed to attack the very cells designated to protect your dog’s body from infection. Your dog's heart has been attacked, and this can cause serious problems. So, if you see that something weird is happening with your dog, please, visit the vet. Don’t wait, at all, because it may be a cure for your dog. I didn’t have a dog for a long time and I don’t have experience with this, but a lot of my friends had this ugly experience. 

Hello all.

There are a lot of symptoms of parvovirus in dogs. Some of them are mentioned before and I will give you the whole list. The symptoms of parvovirus are very different from dog to dog so this way you will know all the symptoms and you will be sure if you dog has this disease.

The symptoms of parvovirus:

- Vomiting

- Fever.

- Bloody diarrhea

- Rapid weight loss.

- Malaise (discomfort associated with illness)

- Loss of appetite.

- (lack of energy)

I want you to know that it doesn’t mean that your dog has parvovirus if he has just one or two symptoms from the list. It can be just a cold or something.