Hi, my son has fluid in the ears. He can’t hear properly for three days, now ear ache started. I am getting worried about progression of an insignificant fluid in ears. How can I know if there is a severe disorder developing?

By "fluid in the ears" it is usually meant to experience a "dullness" of hearing and a "stuffed-up" sensation in the ears. The condition is usually more inconvenient and unpleasant, then really health endangering. Ear-ache may also be present, but it should be seriously examined. It could represent a disease of the middle ear which needs professional care. If the fluid is accumulated in the middle ear space, the mobility of the ear drum will be reduced, so sounds are not collected efficiently enough. The inner ear, can be also disturbed by the fluid, by changing the normal chemical composition of the inner ear fluids, what requires a physician care.

I have suffered with fluid leaks from my ears for many (more than 10) years, and have not found the answer as yet. I have never been found to have middle ear infections or problems by Ear Nose and Throat Doctors to date. One day one of these Doctors ventured to say that my ears SWEAT. I pointed out that this problem existed not only on hot summer days, but on the coldest wintry days of the year. He laughed, having expected that I would have taken his words as Truth.

I have now read an article from the California Ear Institute (Ear Doctor Specialists), the said as follows: "CEREBROSPINAL FLUID LEAK, indications for Surgery. Leakage of fluid around the brain into the ear or surrounding structures (trauma, post-surgery, or spontaneous signs that you may need surgery. Cerebrospinal fluid leakage places the patient at risk for meningitis, and needs urgent attention"(quote].
I am taking a copy of this quote to my Doctor today!